HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   T.R.U. BALL BT GOLD ULTRA 4 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/268110-t-r-u-ball-bt-gold-ultra-4-a.html)

Bowhunter1591 10-14-2008 07:51 PM

T.R.U. BALL BT GOLD ULTRA 4

Does anyone use this one...any pros and cons...and is it any good for hunting??? thanks

Mikey S. 10-14-2008 08:17 PM

RE: T.R.U. BALL BT GOLD ULTRA 4

Well it's a back tension release, and hunting with one of those isn't exactly easy to do. Target shooting yea, they are awesome, but hunting...nah, you want a trigger you can punch if since more often than not, you don't have time to make a perfect squeeze on aback tensionrelease to hit your mark.

If you've never shot a back tension release, I'd recommend trying one of their cheaper $50 back tension releases till you learn the concept and if you wnat to get really good at target shooting. Then upgrade to a more expensive one if you like........but in all honestly, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the cheaper ones and the expensive ones. I've shot just about all of them over the past 15 years, and Ilove my $50 Truball the most.

If you want a hunting release, look at their Pro Diamonds if you like a hand held release. I've hunted with one for 5 seasons, and will never touch a wrist strap release again.

Bowhunter1591 10-14-2008 08:19 PM

i couldent find a price onthis one how much does it go for???? and what tru ball do you have????

Mikey S. 10-15-2008 06:33 AM

Ok, I made a mistake when I spoke about the release you mentioned in your title. I was thinking of a more expensive model. the one you mentioned in your original post goes for about $70, it's a back tension release,and I wouldn't recommendit for hunting.

For target I use the Tru Tension, it goes for about $50. And for hunting I use the Tru Ball Pro Diamond Extreme.......about $90. It's a thumb trigger release.

Bowhunter1591 10-15-2008 06:05 PM

does anyone have a diagram or anything of how a BT release works????

Mikey S. 10-15-2008 08:14 PM

go to this link, click on BT Gold, and you can read about it. They basically fire by rotating the release, there is no trigger. The whole concept is based on using your back muscles to hold and fire the release while focusing on your target.

I could write about it for days, but this link will help you get started.

http://www.truball.com/Instructions.html

zenitharchery.com also has a decent reading about it.

Bowhunter1591 10-15-2008 08:46 PM

thanks for the help Mikey, ill prob be going with the T.R.U. Tension, hopefully be getting itthis weekend.....My target panic is at the worst its ever been, so i need to do something fast, i was actually in my stand and i was just drawing back to loosen up for the after noon hunt and i aimed on a rock and just out of the bluei punched the trigger, ended up destroying the arrow.......

Mikey S. 10-15-2008 09:08 PM

LOL...is that target panic or just having a brain fart ?? :D

Most guys develope target panic because they think they can hold the pin rock steady on the target, then ram that trigger home and hit the x. It don't work that way, never will. You may shoot ok, but eventually, it's gonna get the best of you. The biggest piece of advice I can give you without writing an essay is this little paragraph:

You'll never hold that bow perfectly still, so don't try.Give it up. Come to terms with the fact that it's going to float. Learn to focus on your target. And don't just look at it, I mean burn holes through it with your eyes. Don't take your eyes off of it. Your pin is just a reference. Do not focus on your release. Focus on the target, use your back to hold the bow at full draw, let the pin float, NEVER talking your eyes off the target dot, and squeeeeeeze that trigger. When your pin floats.......do not follow it with your eyes. Just keep focusing on that dot, and squeezing. You probably don't even have target panic.You probably just have some bad shooting habits instilled in you from shooting a trigger release and no real mentoring from a good bow shooter to get you on the right path. Forget about target panic. Erase that phrase from your head, and re-program yourself.

Shoot me a pm if you want to chat some more about it. We'll get you fixed up, but you have to put effort into it. Back Tension may take you months to get down pat, so you need patience and persistance. Talk to me if you want to, I always make time to help someone learn a BT release. You're gonna need help, no doubt about it! :D

Later man

Mike

98Redline 10-19-2008 09:24 PM

My $0.02 on this.

You will not find any "Quick" fix by going to a back tension release. If you are in fact suffering from true target panic then the problem exists between your ears and the BT release is simply a tool for working on fixing the mental issue, not the cure.

Learning to shoot a BT release correctly can take quite a few months and learning to shoot it well can take longer than that.
I also agree that a true BT release is not really a good choice for hunting. There are some that use them, but for me they introduce too much uncertainty (BTW, I shoot my BT release for all other venues, but for hunting I shoot a thumb trigger release).

If you do decide to switch over to a BT release, one of the best times is right after your hunting has finished. At that point, gather up ALL of your other releases and give them to a buddy to hold. Make him promise to not give them back until you stop begging him for them back. You really need to commit yourself to learning BT and switching up releases during that learning process only serves to mess you up. You also need to realize that things will get worse before they get better. When I started shooting BT, my scores plummeted for a couple of months. After I started to get the correct technique down they recovered and soared well past what they were when I started.