Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Rage 2 Blade Problem

Old 10-11-2008, 08:22 PM

Default Rage 2 Blade Problem

I have a post about this issue of the blades falling off the rage 2 blade after it was used once.
Mine have a roll pin holding them in. During impact the blades put pressure on this pin and closed the gap on it making it too loose to stay in the head. so it fell out in my hand and the blades as well.

Well i purchased mine from cabelas. They was willing to make good on these broadheads and will send me a new set. But while i was on the phone they told me that the others have this roll pin in them.
I told them maybe rage updated the head and now have a screw holding the blades in place now.

I also went to the rage site to send them an email on this issue, and to see if it was corrected.
So far i have not gotten home from work early enough to call the number before they close.
They do not have a contact email on the page.

If anyone is having this happen, and or losing them on impact. A simple fix for yours if it has a pin instead of a screw.
Use 2 small center punches and put one on each side of this pin while it is in the broadhead. Give a slight tap to one punch while the other is touching concrete and afterward you will flare the very end of this roll pin. Then on impact it should not close the ends of this pin enough to let it fall out.
Small fix till you get the newer ones with screws in them later.

I am willing to deal with this a bit becasue i am very impressed in the shots i see and have done my self with them.

Below is the image of my head after it fell apart from being shot into a doe 1 time only. While washing it off it fell apart.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rage 2 Blade Problem

The Rage 2 blade i bought last season from Cabelas use a screw to hold the expandables from falling out.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

No offence butI would not be willing to deal with a broadhead that you know will come apart if it hits something solid enough. I have yet to understand why people will pay $13 a piece for a broadhead that falls apart or is otherwise unusable aftera single use regardless of what name is on the packaging or what type of broadhead it is...
mechanical or not.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

I'm with you on that. I tried the Undertaker head, did well on a deer,but yesterday I found out I have to special order replacement blades from a dealer 30 miles from my house. No thanks. I'll be totin' Slik Triks the rest of the season. I can get blades just about anywhere for those.

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

No offence butI would not be willing to deal with a broadhead that you know will come apart if it hits something solid enough. I have yet to understand why people will pay $13 a piece for a broadhead that falls apart or is otherwise unusable aftera single use regardless of what name is on the packaging or what type of broadhead it is...
mechanical or not.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

I tried some this year on a doe. And the blade fell apart. I returned them. Not worth the money IMO.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:15 PM

I have an issue with them also...They do as advertised and cut huge holes as evident by my mature doe down thread. I went to replace the blades with news ones not that they were damaged just wanted sharp ones.

The little screw stripped out and now the head is usless to me 12 bucks waisted. I called them and left a message that I was a 20yr user of muzzy and for the first time tried anew product and needed some assistance. I hope to get a return call this week. I could not locate a email for them on there web site.

I love the flight and cutting diamater but I am not about to spend 12 bucks for one shot, overall I have almost 70 bucks invested in these three broadheads counting the repolacement pak and only 2 of them are usuable now

. We shall see how well they customer service is. If unsatisfactory I will be switching back to the tried and true fixed blade muzzy.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:49 AM

OK guys i talked to rage over the phone, for any of you who like the rage blades. There is good news and bad.

The bad news is, the newest models of the rage 2 blade is the one with the roll pin in them. And these are the ones that fall apart after hitting bone because it closes the gap on the roll pin. If yours has a screw, this is the older models. The replacement blades come with screws and roll pins.

Good news is rage is aware of this problem and they are working to correct it. Also, if you want you can send any broadhead back to them and they will replace it for free. Doe not matter where you purchased it from.

So the real question is, how much will you deal with to get a serious cut in the animal you hunt?

Tips:
Roll pins, closing up and dropping out issue. You can take a center punch to the end of the roll pin to flare it just a bit so if the slot closes off it will not fall out.

Screws: If you strip out the hole, the replacement blade packs have pins and screws. So use a roll pin in it after you get a strip screw and use center punch to flare the ends of it.

This is a small fix i found that works for now. and you can still change blades later by using a small drive punch to get the roll pins out after you have flared them.

Well, thats all we got guys and gals, until rage corrects the problem somehow.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

That's a lot of screwing around for a broadhead. I was almost ready to try them this year, but now I'm not.I'll stick to fixed blade heads, and maybe an occasional Undertaker shot if I can find blades for them.

ORIGINAL: Tomkat08

OK guys i talked to rage over the phone, for any of you who like the rage blades. There is good news and bad.

The bad news is, the newest models of the rage 2 blade is the one with the roll pin in them. And these are the ones that fall apart after hitting bone because it closes the gap on the roll pin. If yours has a screw, this is the older models. The replacement blades come with screws and roll pins.

Good news is rage is aware of this problem and they are working to correct it. Also, if you want you can send any broadhead back to them and they will replace it for free. Doe not matter where you purchased it from.

So the real question is, how much will you deal with to get a serious cut in the animal you hunt?

Tips:
Roll pins, closing up and dropping out issue. You can take a center punch to the end of the roll pin to flare it just a bit so if the slot closes off it will not fall out.

Screws: If you strip out the hole, the replacement blade packs have pins and screws. So use a roll pin in it after you get a strip screw and use center punch to flare the ends of it.

This is a small fix i found that works for now. and you can still change blades later by using a small drive punch to get the roll pins out after you have flared them.

Well, thats all we got guys and gals, until rage corrects the problem somehow.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:45 PM

I called Rage after they did not return my call and they explained the same thing to me and they even cracked a few jokes to be polite ( that was nice). They said that the screws had an issue and just send them back and they will replace them.

Thats fine and Dandy but I need all 3 heads replaced thus I will have to go spent ANOTHER $40 bucks on a 3 pak so I can hunt as I have both my Bows set up and tuned for these heads. That is what really tiks me off. They could hust send me a new pak and then I could return the old ones.

So here is the math this far

1 3 pak = $36.95 plus tax
1 3Replace Pak = $24 plus tax
1 More 3 pak to hunt with while I send broke ones back = $36.95 plus tax

That hits me for about $104.00 this year in Broadheads........what the heck. They are not that good.[:@]

I think I hear the calling of the Muzzies beckoning me back!!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:55 PM

Yeah, Im still going to use my Tight Points, and try some slick tricks as well.
But i like these rage broad heads still, i just want the engineers to fix them so we can have another try at it.

The method i use on the problem works. It isnt that much to flare the pins. But in actuality you should not have to tinker with them at all in anyone's opinion.
However for the love of the cut this head makes i will tolerate it a bit. And i would not just bring these heads alone in my quiver.

Quick Reply: Rage 2 Blade Problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.