HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   remember any good marketing flops? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/266058-remember-any-good-marketing-flops.html)

kodiakhuntmaster 10-02-2008 01:21 PM

remember any good marketing flops?

Does anyone remember any products that just never caught on? Anything that never really made it? I remember a few.

The "Hypoarrow", the arrow that would shoot 300psi of air into something upon impact. It was making it's rounds about 7-8 years ago and was being sold out of NC. Back then there was a few posts on this forum about it that were pretty funny. One guy said he hit a rabbit with it but never found it cause it floated away like a fuzzy balloon. Too bad their website isn't around anymore.

No one talks about Razor Ring broadheads (from Bullet archery) anymore either. They claimed they made a huge hole when you hit something, but many people who used them said they ended up with a large hairball at the end of their arrow and drastically less penetration than normal.

ATOM broadheads may fit this category too. To my knowledge, they aren't getting good reviews, and many people don't trust razor wire in place of real blades for large game.

Now I'm seeing another product that looks like it will go the way of the buffalo. Fletching Fobs from Starrflight. Instead of fletching, you can use their "engineered airfoil", supposed to put more weight forward on your arrow and a host of other things. I always shy away when I hear the word "engineered". Usually mean something works well in theory, but not in actual use. I could be wrong though, they could catch on like sliced bread.

So do ya'll remember any products like these? It's neat to see how archery is evolving, and think about the gadgets that never caught on.

KY Clint 10-02-2008 04:39 PM

RE: remember any good marketing flops?

Many years ago I worked in a Sporting Goods store that sold mostly fishing gear but the owner was getting into the brand new world of compound bows so we carried a little archery product. I remember a broadhead that used either 3 or 4 razor blades as the cutting portion. They were the old "injector" type blades that were about 1.5 inches long and .5 inch wide. The tip screwed off and the blades were removed and you replaced the blades with new ones from the Schick dispenser. I recently got into bow shooting (not hunting yet) and started looking for them thinking that they would be easier than sharpening broadheads and have not seen them in any local shop or catalog. Anybody else remember those or am I hallucinating again?

Clint in Kentucky

Tribal 10-02-2008 06:01 PM

Yeah I remeber one. Cough Silencer lol

kodiakhuntmaster 10-02-2008 06:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Tribal

Yeah I remeber one. Cough Silencer lol
LOL, yeah, I had one of those. I used it only once, and would have been better off just covering my mouth with my hand.

Crazyfarmer 10-02-2008 07:25 PM

my silencer worked great;) seriously you cant hear a thing if you cough into it right. Its quite a few models out there and some dont work though. I had to take it oneday because one of my kids was sick and it worked great also;)

bigbulls 10-02-2008 07:56 PM

Here are a couple I found on archeryhistory.com

Centaur 1 10-02-2008 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: KY Clint

Many years ago I worked in a Sporting Goods store that sold mostly fishing gear but the owner was getting into the brand new world of compound bows so we carried a little archery product. I remember a broadhead that used either 3 or 4 razor blades as the cutting portion. They were the old "injector" type blades that were about 1.5 inches long and .5 inch wide. The tip screwed off and the blades were removed and you replaced the blades with new ones from the Schick dispenser. I recently got into bow shooting (not hunting yet) and started looking for them thinking that they would be easier than sharpening broadheads and have not seen them in any local shop or catalog. Anybody else remember those or am I hallucinating again?

Clint in Kentucky

I think that they were made by Wasp, I had the 6 blade version.

kodiakhuntmaster 10-02-2008 09:00 PM

These are two from my collection. The one on the left I think is what KY Clint was talking about, it uses razor blades, and has four blades that lock together with two "O ring" looking things. As for the one on the right, I have no idea who made it. It has 5 blades, and the section that the blades are attached to is seperate from the center piece with the threads. Theory was that as your arrow was spinning in flight, the blades would remain stationary, and thus your arrow wouldn't plane left or right. Kind of the opposet of what Crimson Talon broadheads do. The threads on this particular broadhead are broken off, from the time that I tested the theory that they don't plane. Obviously, they did.

My grandpa tells me that these 5 and 6 blade broadheads worked really well though.

Snood Slapper 10-02-2008 09:07 PM

This has to be the winner. Remember the Hunter's Snorkel by Rednektek.com?

pick00l 10-02-2008 09:07 PM

How about lighted nocks.. It could be because I don't shoot enough deer. I laugh each time I see one on the shelf. I would say that a electronic tracking nock may be money better spent.