Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 The one Time I will ask for help... >

The one Time I will ask for help...

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

The one Time I will ask for help...

Old 10-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Spike

Default The one Time I will ask for help...

Well for the last 5 years I have been shooting a very old bow, a 1971 Bear BlackBear model to be exact. Lets just say that I know how a medeval catipult operator felt doing the math for where his rock would land because that is the same way my arrows fall. Now being out of college and finally accumulated some cash I would like to make a solid purchase on a good arrow flinger. I went the other day and shot several and narrowed my choice down to two being the Hoyt Katera and the Mathews DXT.

In my hands they shoot so much better then my old bow it is very hard to tell them apart. Both felt good and are selling for the same price. Several of my buddies are Hoyt guys and I value their opinions, but with that being said I would like to hear what you all have to say. I have been reading this forum for a while and had trouble logging in for some time now so I am not brand new. Believe me I have searched through tons of threads, and I think a direct comparison would help me out if you all are willing to do so. I heavily value your opinions.

Dan
Old 10-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The one Time I will ask for help...

Everybody is different but since you asked. I shot both of these bows side by side, imo the Katera is the better of the two. I'm probably not going to buy a new bow myself until the 2010 models come out but I've been looking. I'm looking to take it easy on my shoulders and I want a bow that I can hunt with at 50#. I think that I'm sensitive to what I perceive as a smooth draw cycle, I'm 47 and I've had bursitus in my shoulder. The DXT seemed to have a slight hump in the draw cycle just prior to letoff. Just my $.02 for what it's worth.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wellif you seriously cannot really tell the difference between the two when you shootand decide that way. I have heard Mathews customer service is second to none. I would go off which one is cooler looking and consider warranty/customer service. Besides who wants to be exactly like your buddies.They are both sweet bows the good news is you are getting a new top of the line bow. Have fun.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

You can't go wrong with either one man. You seriously can't. Check out some Bowtech's and PSE's too. Hoyt and Mathews both make a "cheaper" line of bows, but they are still very good bows for a bowhunter. Hoyt builds the Reflex line, and now the "hawk" series bows, which are 09 models just released a little early. Mathews build the Mission line of bows, which are very nice too.

Keep in mind that in about a month, both Mathews and Hoyt will release their new, full '09 lineup, you may find something you like better, but will take longer to get.

I've been a Hoyt guy for 6 years now, owned 7 different ones for target and hunting, and every year I keep going back to them. I shoot the cr*p out of my bows, all year round, and the only thing I've had to change was strings and cables. Never a rise, camor limb issue.

If you haven't spent a lot of time shooting todays bows, perhaps you can try a couple of bows in the 35-37" axle to axle range, to see how they feel. A little more forgiving and easier to shoot for someone just starting out.

Just get the one that stands out to you!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Spike

Centaur, Tribal, Mikey S.,

I appreciate everyones help and opinions. Over the last few weeks I have shot alot of bows to try and see which ones I would prefer. As I said above I narrowed it down to the Katera and DXT with the General just being nudged out. Also tried most of those respected bows lines including the alternate brands Reflex, Mission etc.

I believe I am leaning towards the Hoyt even though I think the Mathews felt a tiny bit better. The sad thing is that I just found a local shop that is $100 cheaper on the Mathews. My friends have never had a problem with their Hoyts and I know they shoot/hunt the crap out of them. There are several people that I know of that have had cracked limbs several times over with the Mathews. If im going to spend $800 for the bow alone I think I deserve the peace of mind to not have to worry about that, which might be worth the $100 difference.

Tuff decision.

Tribal I think the coolness factor was thrown out when I realized the prices for a good bow now a days ha ha ha.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

the 09's are slowly comin out now.. i think id wait this late in the year to see whats hot for 09.. if you dont like them you could prolly find an 08 cheaper...
Old 10-03-2008, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt after holding the new Bowtech Admiral in my hands, I would give that a try.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:57 PM

BOTH BOWS ARE NICE, I TOO SHOT MOST BOWS ON THE MARKET THIS YEAR. I LIKED THE HOYT KATERA BETTER THAN THE DXT, BUT THAT JUST AN OPINION. JUST PICK ONE RIGG IT OUT AND GO HUNT. GOOD LUCK.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Spike

I am going to the shop today and we will see what I pick up after shooting a little bit more. Now off to the bank before work... Once again I appreciate everyones opinions, help, and expertise!

Dan
Old 10-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Spike

Just got back from the shop and after many shots this is what I eneded up with

Hoyt Katera 29''
G5 Opix 3 pin
NAP 3000 rest
Hoyt 2 pc Quiver
AXIS FMJ 400 arrows
Slick Tricks

What do you fellas think...?

Quick Reply: The one Time I will ask for help...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.