Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Tru Fire Switchblade

Old 09-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Tru Fire Switchblade

I was thinking of trying these heads has anyone tried them or know much about them?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tru Fire Switchblade

I looked at them but I wouldn't put them on the end of my arrow.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

While any broadhead will do the job when placed in the right spot, these are never going to be on my arrows. Look pretty cheap to me.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Can you elaborate as to why you all don't like them any specifics?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lung Buster

Can you elaborate as to why you all don't like them any specifics?
Looks to be made out of cheap plastic material and I don't like how they open with the push down of the tip. I will stick to my rages!
Old 09-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Typical Buck

Anybody who has bowhunted a while will tell you simplicity works, these heads have too many moving parts. Find something that shoots well and is well built and takes very little to do what you want it to accomplish.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah that round fat tip just doesnt look right to me. Definitely dont get the warm fuzzy looking at them thats for sure.....
Old 09-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Check out the broadhead tests at the bottom of this thread. I'm not sure if the tru-fire was in the test or not.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3022092&mpage=16&key=&#30315 62
Old 09-22-2008, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tested them for my website. The full review is on the subscribers side, but in a nutshell they are not very good at all.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

In the October issue Bowhunting World. Mike Strandlund and Mark Melotik did a field test on several mechanical heads and posted all the results. After reading it I would never use the Switchblades . Also, after reading it I am still glad that I use Rocky Mtn. Snypers!!
They tested 18 different heads.
Since you asked about the Switchblades, I will give you a few conclusions they found.
#1. On Penetration, it finished in the bottom 4 out of 18.
#2. They said that Tru Fire touts a 1-3/8" wide cutting dia., but they consistently produced a 1" hole.
#3. Most importantly to me. They did a torture test that consisted of shooting through 2 layers of half inch, fiber reinforced Durock cement board.
Here is exactly what was written about the Switchblades results in the torture test.
" Questions were raised after the Switchblade's performance in our torture test. At the first shot it blew apart with the arrow ricocheting backwards. On the next shot, a new head (and the entire arrow) blew through the Durock- but the head also blew apart on impact. You can argue that being shot through Durock is not a "real world " test, yet the vast majority of heads came awy from this extreme test intact".
They had a picture of the head they used and it was destroyed.

Hope that helps you.

Quick Reply: Tru Fire Switchblade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.