HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Timberline No-Peep (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/263014-timberline-no-peep.html)

pick00l 09-13-2008 07:33 PM

Timberline No-Peep

All -

For the past couple years I thought I was struggling with bow torque. I don't death grip my bow but, I notice that my cables were not always in the same position. Also, over the years, I would shoot great, 40 yards dead nuts, then be a bit over to one direction, or sporadic. This year, I would search for an answer.

I purchased a timberline no-peep after doing a quick search on the internet. Randomly, ran across it and it seemed to be something that could help me.

Since my main bow is in the shop, I installed the no-peep on a spare Oneida. Bit confusing to put on but, in about 30 full minutes, I was ready for my first test shot. To the back yard I went.

I knew that it would changed my knock point. Was not sure how much as traditionally, I would hold the string with release very, very tight to my face. I think this was causing some of the problems anyway.

Stood about 10 yards from the target and bang, shot over the target, into my chain link fence and arrow was cut in two. This normally would not be a problem however, I'm in a residential neighborhood. Someone is going to find about 20 inches of arrow and a field point in their yard. (This is not going to be good for anyone, especially me.)

Changing the distance to 5 yards and aiming at the base of the target, I was hitting way high and 6 - 8 inches to the left. After adjusting my sight, not the no-peep, I was able to shoot 20 yards, and hold a 2 inch group with 3 arrows. My sight was still not dialed in as I was still left.

Going back to adjust the sight again, I found that the no-peep is butt up against the sight guard and I can not move it any further.

Since I will be putting this on my main bow in the next week or so, I am not going to change it any more. If I was keeping it on this bow, I would likely have to place the no-peep on the inside of the bow instead of the outside. Not sure how it would look but, it is designed for either application.

Overall, I found switching from shooting a peep for X years to this no-peep was easy. Did it solve my problem of bow torque? Not sure. The Onedia does not really have torque problems so, I will need to mount it on my Proline Riptide and test it out. I'm interested to know how this is going to perform in the woods as well. If it does well, I may have to buy another one for both bows. Maybe it was my knock point change but, this setup felt very comfortable shooting.

I know folks have posted here before about the no-peep, just adding to the mix.

- Pick00l

redoakbuck 09-14-2008 05:28 PM

RE: Timberline No-Peep

When you put on the no peep you are suposed to draw then adjust the no peep. Do not adjust to the no peep. I had troublele at first ecause I just put the no peep on then moved everything to accomodate it and was unable toadjust my sight properly. I ended up just drawing backmy bow how I felt comfortable and moved the no peep into place. Knock point and anchor point should not change, Its just supposed to make your anchor point more consistent.

pick00l 09-14-2008 07:50 PM

I agree with you. For me, I actually wanted to change my knock point a bit. I also added a Nock loop for the first time to boot.

So, do you like it? How long have you been shooting with it? Anything I should look out for?

redoakbuck 09-15-2008 05:31 PM

I definately prefer it over a standard peep. I havent' had any problems since I got ittweeked in. I have been using it since spring and don't even need to relly look at it anymore.

Rick C. 09-17-2008 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: redoakbuck

When you put on the no peep you are suposed to draw then adjust the no peep. Do not adjust to the no peep.
I have been using the no peep for a couple of years. It took a while to find the right positioning.I originally mounted below my site, found mounting it above gave me clearview through my site.

my advice would be to close your eyes, draw and anchor, check the no peep alignment. This way you are aligning the no peep to your anchor point, not aligning your anchor point to the no peep.

-Rick C.

nybuckboy 10-14-2008 08:36 AM

The No-Peep device is the single best piece of equipment I have purchased for my bow. I have always disliked using one eye to sight and being in the 50+ age bracket my close up vision sucks. It is a bit of PITA to get set up, in fact I almost shipped it back butglad I didn't. In low light conditions it is far superior to a traditional in the string peep.

When setting the N0-Peep up, I agree with what Rick C says. I wished I had done it this way from the start." my advice would be to close your eyes, draw and anchor, check the no peep alignment. This way you are aligning the no peep to your anchor point, not aligning your anchor point to the no peep. - Rick C.

In my case I just use a kisser button and my knuckle on right hand that holds to release is just behind and against my jawbone and under my ear.I moved the No-Peep until the black bubble is centered in the larger green bubble.

What Redoakbuck says "I have been using it since spring and don't even need to really look at it anymore."

It's true after you use it for a while youare just aligned and really do not need to look at, although I still always do when practicing. When I shot my first buck last year it was on a walk more than quartering away at 18 yds and I just followed him until he reached a clear openingand let the arrow fly. Never looked at the No-Peep. He dropped inside 60 yards.

G2shooter 10-27-2008 12:05 PM

Have used a No Peep for 2 full seasons, this one makes 3. Shrank my 30 yd. groups from 5" to 2 1/2" + added very low light capability. Am very pleased with the performance, BUT, have experienced condensation problems with 2 different units when Elk hunting in cold/wet conditions.

HuntingEd 10-27-2008 01:04 PM

I've been using a No-peep for almost 2 years, and love it... It dramatically improved my shooting, because it doesnt leave room for error and you can take a shot from any angle and still ring true.

I set mine up by drawing my bow w/ my eyes closed, came to a position that was comfortable, then open to see how i needed to adjust the no-peep.

this thing is great!

Warden41272 10-31-2008 12:20 AM

Just wanted to bump this a bit. After proper tuning, and finding a sight I really like (Apex Atomic 4-pin), I'm stacking arrows with this thing. I shot 14 arrows at my Yellow-Jacket target today. Except for 2 flyers (bad fletching job on my part), 12 of the 14 arrows were touching. Flat out, if you do your part, this thing will improve your shooting.

Forgot to add I was shooting at 35 yards, with a mixture of Trophy Ridge Blast 400 and Carbon Force Radial X Weave arrows, and I wasn't shooting at the same bullseye every time (with 14 arrows it would stand to reason they'd all be touching )

pick00l 10-31-2008 08:41 AM

I could not agree more. In fact I just purchased a second one for my other bow.

Another piece of advice, the unit can be mounted 4 different ways based on your nock point and sights. You may have to experiment with which mount works best for you. After it is setup, you feel very good about it.

Side note, when will a sight manufacturer integrate the no-peep into their sight? I think that could work and save some weight.