Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

82nd or 101st for 3d

Old 09-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 82nd or 101st for 3d

I have a general and love it. next year i plan on buying a target only bow setup. ive been thinking the 82nd b/c of the speed but the bh is short. the 101st is slower but more forgiving. other than that they are virtually the same.
ive seen many people shooting kateras at field shoots and they only have a 6" bh, so is it really that important if you have good form. by no means am i saying im great, but i should be able to get it and shoot it right? anyways, im just trying to weigh out the pros and cons of speed vs bh. thanks guys
Derek
Old 09-04-2008, 10:16 AM

Default RE: 82nd or 101st for 3d

For what it is worth, I have had my 82nd since right after last x-mas and think that it is a great shooter. It is only my second bow since returning to archery about 4 years ago. I am far from a great archer, but do practice while trying my best to use good form. I shoot the 82nd very accurate for me, out to 40 yards and will use it for hunting this year. I think that you will find that you can very accurately shoot the 82nd if you give it a try.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Well I just bought a 82nd that a guy used for 3 months for 3d and its a fast bow .But i think you would like the 101 for 3d .Its easier to shoot .
Old 09-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it is strictly for 3D I wouldn't choose either.
I would choose either the commander or constitution. Depending on which riser and limb design I was drawn to.

If it will be used for a dual rollof hunting and 3D I would choose the 82nd.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I was buying s straight up 3D rig, it would be the Commander.

That said, I shoot a 101st. The difference in speed between the 82nd and 101st is neg. What's your DL? I really don't think you can go wrong with either, but I really think the 101 is a sweet bow. I had a Commander last year, loved it, and bought a 101 this year and loved it more.[8D] My 3d arrows this year weighed 324 grains. I shot them out of my 101 at 58/59 pounds. 325 FPS. I cranked it up to 63 for hunting. Built 440 grains arrows. 295 FPS. Love the bow.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it is going to be a 3D specific bow, I'd use the Constitution. I have shot and handled them all and the Constitution is the most stable/forgiving platform in the lineup with a straight riser that has no reflex to it. It's settles down after your draw sequence very quickly because of that straight riser design. It also is fairly quick. I'm getting 308fps out of mine and itdrills those X rings when you do your part. The Commander is a nice bow too, but too heavy and I feel it's a bit top heavy in balance. Not really a great platform for adding stabilizers and long sight bars, etc......the Constitution is a bit faster, has more brace height, balanced better, and much lighter giving you the option to add weight where you want it for the best balance. I think the Commander is better suited for those that want to hunt with a super forgiving bow.

What 3D class are you planning to compete in? Unless your planning to shoot open class, speed isn't going to matter much anyway. As long as you are 270+ fps I would plan to shoot the most stable and forgiving bow you can get. I actually prefer the pin gaps a 280ish fps bow gives me for hunter class, any faster and I can't get the pin gaps that are best for splitting. Hunter class comes down to how many X rings you can hit, and 35 yards and closer you shouldn't be missing 10 rings due to yardage estimation. If your losing points due to yardage judging in hunter class a bow isn't really going to cover that up. The speed comes in handy out past 40 yards where the arrows start dropping a bit quicker in Open Class though........

A quick pic of mine in use.......

Old 09-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

The BowTech Airborne 82nd is one of the best shooters I've had in my hands.

Super Fast, Quiet, & Accurate!!

Dan
Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks all.
Rick James, thank you very much for the detailed response. i will definately look into the straight riser design for sure. as far as class, open, with a single pin sight. ive been shooting my general all season hunter and am going to continue to shoot it like it is.
Ben/PA, that is blazin speed you are getting. if i go between the 82nd and 101st i will probably go with the 101st just b/c the bh. i will shoot them both a ton before (if) i were to buy one
Derek
Old 09-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: drockw

thanks all.
Rick James, thank you very much for the detailed response. i will definately look into the straight riser design for sure. as far as class, open, with a single pin sight. ive been shooting my general all season hunter and am going to continue to shoot it like it is.
Ben/PA, that is blazin speed you are getting. if i go between the 82nd and 101st i will probably go with the 101st just b/c the bh. i will shoot them both a ton before (if) i were to buy one
Derek
I bought both the 82 and the 101 because I was afraid of the short BH. After shooting both for 4 to 6 weeks I converted my 101 to another 82.

My 82nd was Quieter, and an easy 10fps faster. It was an easy choice for me.

I am no Great shot, but the 82nd continues to amaze me not only with it's speed but also it's accuracy.

2 arrows from 40 yards.

Dan

Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

The next 2 shots were from 60 yards. One at my 3D Deer target and one at the Morrell Outdoor range bag. I stuck an orange dot on it so these ol eyes could actually see something to aim at from 60 yards.

Dan

Quick Reply: 82nd or 101st for 3d

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.