Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Chalk 1 up for the General! >

Chalk 1 up for the General!

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Chalk 1 up for the General!

Old 08-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Chalk 1 up for the General!

Myself, and a good friend both purchased Bowtech Generals over 1 month ago. They've been great. Yesterday my friends General got a unwanted test. He dry fired his General by mistake. A nock broke as he triggered the rel.. It sounded like a rifle shot when it went off! The arrow fell to the ground at his feet. His peep, and kisser button flew off.
I throughly went over the bow afterwards with a fine tooth comb. Flashlight & magnifying glass looking for any cracks. None to be seen. I went over every screw on the bow, found the limb support brackets & couple alan heads on his cams all loose. Snugged them up. So far so good. He's taking it into the shop tomorrow to be double checked, and have new peep put in. But it appears the bow is fine. If the shop finds anything otherwise I will post it.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:25 PM

Default RE: Chalk 1 up for the General!

make sure you read the technical bulletin bowtech posted at the top of the page ,there is a recall on the general
Old 08-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Manufacturers do not recommend dry firing any bow yet all manufacturers intentionally dry fire during their research and development. One single accidental dry fire should not damage a bow but there is definately a chance of that happening. In this case, since it's a General, I would definately have it checked out and have the parts replaced under the recall. Even if everything looks good.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:44 PM
bigcountry

I have yet to see too many compounds come out of a dry fire unscathed. The usual suspects are the axles. And second warping the cam. Both are subtle and only found by those who know where to look. One good thing about the general, is they brought back the cam stops. With the previous binary cams, a dry fire usually meant a warped cam. But with the cam stops able to move, that helps alot.

Lastly, is the extra stress put on the limbs. May not show up today, but I sure wouldn't want to buy your bow on ebay.

Good luck with it.