Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Whats A Good Bow For A Beginner ? >

Whats A Good Bow For A Beginner ?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Whats A Good Bow For A Beginner ?

Old 08-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Default Whats A Good Bow For A Beginner ?

I had a Darton SL50 in 1984
24 years ago.
So it I would be like a beginner.

I have looked at HighCountry bows.

But I am not sure of what to get.

When I was 20 something I was as strong as an Ox
Buuuuuuuuut I am 48 now and weak as a new born kitten.
I found that out when I tried out the perfect pushup.
I could barely do 10 pushups.
I will keep doing it untile I can do a lot more.

So I need a bow that is easy to draw.

I have a permit for a crossbow.
But I want a regular bow.

Back to my question.

What Bow would the Bowhunting Gear Review bow hunters suggest ?

Thank You

jrbsr
Old 08-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats A Good Bow For A Beginner ?

It all depends on your price range, there are great bows out there from Parker, Mathews, Bowtech, Ross, Diamond, Hoyt, and the list keeps on going. If you are wanting a very easy drawing bow I would stick with a single cam for sure.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:52 AM

fwiw - I can't do pushups very well either, however, I can easily yank back a 70lb bow at 40yrs old... your budget is your only constraint really, there are great bows at every price level these days... imho, search out a good quality bow that's a year or two old... you can get a sweet bow for not much coin if you shop smart... check for leftovers from 07, i'd strongly consider a leftover diamond black ice in 60#, a left over or used ross cardiac, if you want mathews get the switchback xt used - imho their finest bow to date, if you want new check out the new bear stuff, pretty nice for the money... I'd give a serious look at Elite, right now they've really got my eye and I'll probably part with my Ross CR334 to get it... but you'll probably not be able to find used or left over since they are a relative newcomer (though the ownership has good pedigree being former Bowtech engineers)...

as everyone will say, just go out and shoot as many as you can, when I was shopping for my Ross i shot a ton of bows, the most fun shopping experience i've had in years...
Old 08-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: SevenMag

fwiw - I can't do pushups very well either, however, I can easily yank back a 70lb bow at 40yrs old... your budget is your only constraint really, there are great bows at every price level these days... imho, search out a good quality bow that's a year or two old... you can get a sweet bow for not much coin if you shop smart... check for leftovers from 07, i'd strongly consider a leftover diamond black ice in 60#, a left over or used ross cardiac, if you want mathews get the switchback xt used - imho their finest bow to date, if you want new check out the new bear stuff, pretty nice for the money... I'd give a serious look at Elite, right now they've really got my eye and I'll probably part with my Ross CR334 to get it... but you'll probably not be able to find used or left over since they are a relative newcomer (though the ownership has good pedigree being former Bowtech engineers)...

as everyone will say, just go out and shoot as many as you can, when I was shopping for my Ross i shot a ton of bows, the most fun shopping experience i've had in years...
My left arm was messed up real bad in a car crash when I was 17 years old.
And I have a hard time drawing a high pound bow.

So what does every one think would be an easy bow to draw ?

Thank You

jrbsr
Old 08-14-2008, 07:12 AM

ORIGINAL: jrbsr
My left arm was messed up real bad in a car crash when I was 17 years old.
And I have a hard time drawing a high pound bow.

So what does every one think would be an easy bow to draw ?

Thank You

jrbsr
it doesn't get much easier than a Ross 331/334 (my 70lb 334 draws like its 55lbs or so, I can only imagine what a 60lb one would be like) and the new Cardiac should be available to try out as well... typically, the smoother the draw the slower the bow, but we're not talkin massively slower... any modern 50lb bow will kill about any game in north america... seriously, you're gonna have to go shoot a bunch, the diamond black ice is pretty smooth also, haven't tried a marquis yet... with your shoulder you will probably want a bow with an 80% let off... i'd also stick with a single/solo cam style bow, they 'tend' to be smoother drawing as well...
Old 08-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Try a Bowtech Equalizer in 40-50 lbs. Just throwing name and model.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

First thing I'd do is check your state regulations and find out what the minimum legal poundage is for bow hunting your state. From there I'd head to a pro shop and shoot a few different bows. You need to find a draw weight that you are comfortable with. Remember bows tend to have their best performance at the top end of their rated draw weight. So a 40-50lb bow maxed at 50lb may turn out to be a betterperformerthan a 50-60lb bow cranked down to 50lb. I could be wrong and if so I'm sure someone here will correct me.

The hardest thing with selecting the right bow is that nobody can really tell you what bow to buy. It's much like buying a car. There are so many models out there. Each has it's own characteristics and price range. It really comes down to what you are happy shooting. It won't take you long to feel the difference between bows A, B and C.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: JeramyK

First thing I'd do is check your state regulations and find out what the minimum legal poundage is for bow hunting your state. From there I'd head to a pro shop and shoot a few different bows. You need to find a draw weight that you are comfortable with. Remember bows tend to have their best performance at the top end of their rated draw weight. So a 40-50lb bow maxed at 50lb may turn out to be a betterperformerthan a 50-60lb bow cranked down to 50lb. I could be wrong and if so I'm sure someone here will correct me.

The hardest thing with selecting the right bow is that nobody can really tell you what bow to buy. It's much like buying a car. There are so many models out there. Each has it's own characteristics and price range. It really comes down to what you are happy shooting. It won't take you long to feel the difference between bows A, B and C.
Here is NC regulations for bow.

Bow and Arrow
_ Bow-and-arrow hunting is limited to longbows and recurved
bows having a minimum pull of 40 pounds and compound bows
with a minimum pull of 35 pounds. Only arrows with a fixed
minimum broadhead width of 7/8 inch or a mechanically
opening broadhead with a minimum width of 7/8 inch in the
open position may be used for taking bear, deer, wild boar or
wild turkey. Blunt-type arrowheads may be used in taking small
animals and birds, including, but not limited to, rabbits, squirrels,
quail, grouse and pheasants. Poisonous, drugged, barbed or
explosive arrowheads may not be used for taking any game.
_ It is unlawful to hunt with a crossbow, except for disabled
hunters with a crossbow permit.
Crossbows Crossbows are legal hunting weapons only for
disabled persons with a permit from theWildlife Resources
Commission. Refer to the “Disabled Sportsman” section on
page 11 for qualification and application information. Crossbows
used under this permit must have a minimum draw
weight of 150 pounds. Bolts must use heads as described
for arrows in the preceding section.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_Regs/2008_09_Regulations_Digest.pdf

Old 08-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know- unless I missed it- what your draw length is. Yajsab mentioned the Equalizer, but I think its draw length only goes to 27.5 inches. Like I said, I don't know your draw length, but if you're thinking Bowtech, you can get the Guardian in a 50 lb model which would give you more draw length options. Also, whichever bow you choose, you might want to get a brace height of at least 7-8 inches since you haven't shot a bow in 24 years. Bows are lot different nowadays. Just a thought- hope it helps.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RefusetoFollow

I don't know- unless I missed it- what your draw length is. Yajsab mentioned the Equalizer, but I think its draw length only goes to 27.5 inches. Like I said, I don't know your draw length, but if you're thinking Bowtech, you can get the Guardian in a 50 lb model which would give you more draw length options. Also, whichever bow you choose, you might want to get a brace height of at least 7-8 inches since you haven't shot a bow in 24 years. Bows are lot different nowadays. Just a thought- hope it helps.
I forgot to put that my draw length is 28 and a 1/2 inches.

Quick Reply: Whats A Good Bow For A Beginner ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.