HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   braodhead for my 10 year old????? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/257132-braodhead-my-10-year-old.html)

stangman347 08-11-2008 11:05 AM

braodhead for my 10 year old?????

I just posted this on one of the other forums and wanted to post it here also. I need some help determining a braodhead for my 10 year old. This is his first year hunting. His draw weight is about 35 - 40 lbs and I have him using a whisker bisket. I am leaning for a three blade, but would like more cutting diameter. What do you think?????? I want to go with a "fixed" broadhead and NOT a mechanical, due to not enough poundage for the mechanical to work right.

passthru79 08-11-2008 11:43 AM

RE: braodhead for my 10 year old?????

My wife used NAP Hellrazors last year with great success. The cut a good size hole and penetrate well. She was pulling about 50lbs and got complete penetraion on a 200lbs field dressed buck at 30yards. It was a pass through but it did stick out the other side which isnt bad for hitting some heavy shoulder blade. Montecs are good, but the hellrazors are a 1/16" larger cut and come sharpter out of the package.

bigcountryok 08-11-2008 12:36 PM

I have my son shooting the magnusbuzzcuts 4 blade. He hasn't had the chance to stick one yet with them, but they penetrate deeper into a hay bale with his bow at 40lbs than my bow at 60lbs does with thunder heads. They should have plenty of cut to them if the shot is right. They fly great too.

Doegirl75 08-11-2008 08:25 PM

I did post on the original thread, so I'll make it short. 85 gr. or 100gr 2 blade Magnus Stingers. Muzzy Phantom 100grain w/ the bleeders removed would work as well (80gr. total).

5 shot 08-12-2008 05:06 AM

I would go with a smaller head. A three blade with no more than 1 1/16" cutting diameter. The Rocky turbo or whatever they are calling it these days. The NAP Nitron or a sonic would be a good choice in a three blade model. Magnus stingers, Muzzy phantoms and similiarly sized two blade cut on contacts would also be great choices. I would personaly probably go with the 2 blade stinger in 100 or 125 grn. remember since the arrow speeds are going to be low you want to maximize arrow weight to get the last bit of KE you can for his setup. Keep shots close and he should be fine.

Grandviewer 08-13-2008 02:25 PM

G5 Strikers!

ken the kid 08-13-2008 04:56 PM

the broadhead u want for your son is made by eastman. the broadhead is called eastman firstcut. get the 90 grain. they are awesome. he shoots 40 pounds and did a complete pass thru at 20 yards with these