Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

rage at 30+yards

Old 08-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default rage at 30+yards

Ive shot muzzys all my life until last year when i switched to crimson talons. ive always had to resight my bow with muzzys but the talon seemed to fly well. still not well enough that i would fly one out to 35 or 40 yards. im just wondering, since all say that mechanicals fly like field tips, is that true even at a distance?
will i be able to fling a rage at 50 and expect it to hit just like my field tip would? im not saying im looking for long shots, but if i can find an arrow/bh combo that i feel more comfortable with i might be more successful in the field. thanks
Derek
Old 08-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rage at 30+yards

If your bow is prefectly tuned and you have really good form you can get just about any of todays quality heads to hit right with your field tips. The rage, or any expandable will have a tendancy to be closer to your field tips because they have less blade surface area that is exposed. The blades are what causes the arrow to hit differently from your field tips. To achieve field tip like flight you have to have a properly spined arrow that is stabilized well enough by the vanes to where the broadhead wont stear it, a perfectly tuned bow, andyou have to have proper shooting form. Going to expandables gives you alot more fudge factor in those areas because of the reduced blade surface area.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

try SLICK TRICK 3 blade points, they fly like darts.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

A mechanical broadhead does not make up for a poorly tuned bow and will actually cause you to have penetration issues instead of flight issues.

Just like Passthru said, If your bow is welltuned then you should have no problem getting fixed blade heads to shoot well out of your bow.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:32 PM

i have shot a practice tip rage 70 yards no problim, hit same as field points, but the furthest i've shot the regular rage was 30 yards,stuck in half way inthe deer andran about 40 yards....
Old 08-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

The last dear I shot last year was at 38 yards with a rage. Passed through the Boilerroom and the back shoulder. Went all of 30 yards.

With work you can tune any broadhead to shoot wel out of your bow. But, that said, that could involve twisting inserts or Playing with weight adjustment. A well tuned weapon will put the arror where you want it. Expandibles just get rid of alot of that work.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry guys i should have been more specific, the muzzy deal was a couple years ago before i really knew how to fine tune. my bow is very tight right now. my paper shots look like bullet holes and my walk back is well... good enough. i was just wanting to know how much i could trust the claim of expandables flying like a field tip. thanks fro the help though gys.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just shot an Impala ram at 34 yards and the 3 bladed Rage hit where I was aiming!
Old 08-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: drockw

Sorry guys i should have been more specific, the muzzy deal was a couple years ago before i really knew how to fine tune. my bow is very tight right now. my paper shots look like bullet holes and my walk back is well... good enough. i was just wanting to know how much i could trust the claim of expandables flying like a field tip. thanks fro the help though gys.

fixed blade is point to use if you are hunter that DOES not wait for a broadside shot.

if you are hunter that will only take a broadside shot, i like spitfires .

these SLICK TRICK points are real nice,my brother uses a 50 # recurve.

they shot the same place as his field points.

what makes them or any point better is to have your arrow points balanced on arrow.

if they dont spin like top,they will not be perfect.

some use o-rings ,others grind the insert.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok guys, i got the rage 3blade adn i love how they shoot. all of the hype about their flight was true (for me). i shot the practicce head at 40 50 and 60 yards and grouped it with my field tips with no prob. thanks for all of the input guys.
Derek

Quick Reply: rage at 30+yards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.