Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Montech's or the  Rage??? >

Montech's or the Rage???

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Montech's or the Rage???

Old 09-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Montech's or the Rage???

what is the deal with montecs and everyone bashing them for sharpness. Do people just take them out of the package and shoot em and not practice with them. Even if they are razor sharp out of the package you can just hit them on the montec stone and in just a short time get them to what ever sharpness you prefer. I practice with mine then sharpen them up. With that said, I did try the rage last year and have mixed results.

One 275lb hog took a 3 blade rage in the shield and I got 3 inches of penetration. I have shot a many of hog with montecs and razorcaps and never had a problem with penetration in the shield. I now carry a montec in my quiver just for hogs.

Shot 2 deer with the rage and noticed masive entry holes but standard broadhead exit holes. I can only think that as the blades deploy into the skin that the skin is pulled into the hole then rebounds back out as arrow passes into cavity. Blood trails were the same as any other broadhead I have shot animals with. Blood trails have a lot of factors involved such as entry and exit height. the higher the sites are the more blood must pool in chest before it is pumped out. Just b/c you shoot a larger head bh doesn't necessarily mean a better blood trail is what I have learned. It is about shot placement and exit site.

With the rages I shot, 3 blade, the replacement package is rather expensive and it comes with only one allen wrench which fit the blades and not he tip. That didn't make sense to me but both replacement blade packages I bought didn't include both allen wrenches needed to replace the tips. One broadhead was toast after the shot and 2 others were reparable with the replacement package. One lost in the big ol hog. I have mixed emotions on these heads. Cost effecient broadheads are definetely ones that you can sharpen back yourself without having to buy replacement blades. The montecs are very easy to sharpen IMO.

This is just my 2 cents. I see a lot of guys use them and rant over the rages but they aren't perfect and are costly to rebuild after shooting them. As far as anyone reshooting a bh without replacing the blades or resharpening them is unethical as sean76 claimed above to have done.

Rages on small to medium size hogs you will probably have no problem as they don't have well developed shields. But in 225# plus hogs you better not take the broadside shot with one IMO, the quartering away would be more desired.

I may try the Snypers as they are the same as rage 2 blades and 10.00 cheaper. I have seen a lot of guys still use them with success. I am sure what I have written above would pertain to them as well though.

Happy hunting and hope what I have typed makes sense.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Rage threeblade.....Not so great.
As soon as I saw em, I decided too much cutting surface to get great penetration.
Tthe two blade on the other hand...talk about a great design, rocky mountain did well with the snyper/rage design. I put some seriously large entry and exit wounds in deer last year. really impressive.

The montecs are not sharp outta the box, and thats notso horrible, you just gotta sharpen em.I will say they are a bit harded to sharpen then alot of other broadheads out there.

And as for no broadhead being sharp enough outta the box?!?!?! Thats nuts. Never had a problem with Nap's (nasty sharp, thunderheads are), Muzzy's, Rockets...hell every broadhead I have used has been "cut hair like butter" sharp with the exception of the montecs.
And if I can shave off arm hair without effort, that is plenty sharp.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot the rage 3 blade and personally love them. I see some said they are expensive and cant be reused. I will vouch that I couldnt reuse mine after a shoulder/shoulder shot, but I do believe most of the daamge to the head come from contact with a log after the pass through. 14bucks gone, but I do have one on the wall from that head. I consider it money well spent. I hardly use any head I shoot again, since normally it stays on that arrow and goes on the antlers. I carry slick tricks and rage bhead. I mainly use the slicks for doe managment and ill put the rage in for when the big boy walks under. Im just very impressed with their flight. I may switch to the 2blades next season, but so far the 3 blades have worked flawless.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Spike

I shot two does with the three blades last year. the first quartered away, passed thru from behind the shoulder, exited the base of the neck and stuck in the dirt. MASSIVE entry wound and blood trail of about 30 yards. The second was a bit high, caught her in the spine. No blood trail or tracking that one.

The first rage may have been salvageable with a rebuild kit.. the second was destroyed. The tip rolled back onto itself and one blade was badly bent.

I've quit using them due to too many problems with the retaining o-rings and blades coming out of place.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

RAGE i love em
Old 09-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Just purchased the 3 blades for this year. I watched Grimreaper videos on the net and was impressed by their head. I know other folks have talked about them on this forum but not this post. I was thinking about buying a set of them this year to test.

I also do not use the board head again after a kill. Just figure it is the cost of doing business. For a miss.. it just pisses me off and with previous broadheads, just cleaned the blades up, sharpen them and ready to go. If it's damaged.. my fault anyway and I'm off to buy more.

I can't wait to see the rage in action this year.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Check out Bowhunting World magazine (October 2008 issue, Whitetail Special). They performeda field testwith 15 different brands of mechanical broadheads. I believe you will find the results of the test interesting.Hopefully this will answer some of your questions.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Spike

been shooting the G5 tekken for a couple years, my bro shoots the rage 2 and on a hog hunt this spring the rage wins hands down!! although we both passed through the damage and entry/exit hole size from the rage was truly unbeliveable! Im convinced and have re chambered with rage for this bow season!
Old 09-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

rage is agreat broadhead...deep and large holes in em..however a one piece stays in one piece.. also there is a certain amount of poundage needed for most mechanicals to deploy correctly....so ive heard
Old 09-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Spike

Rage 2-blades with a hard hitting arrow is an awesome whitetail set-up

[hr]

07 Bowtech Tribute 70#
Easton Axis N-Fused w/100gr 2-Blade RAGE
Spott Hog Sight
STS string stopper
Trophy Ridge Dropzone Rest
Doinker Stabilizer
294 Fps