Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Montech's or the  Rage??? >

Montech's or the Rage???

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Montech's or the Rage???

Old 08-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Montech's or the Rage???

annika3I don't want to get into a big debate over this, but trust me when I tell you that I have tested over 100 differnent broadheads shooting them into all kinds of things. Rage heads are not nearly as durable as a standard Muzzy. If you get into the MX series then the difference is even bigger. Like I said, Rage heads are good, and I have killed a few deer with them, but blade thickness is only a small part of a broadheads durability.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Annika3
I dont think it's the thickness of the bladesbut the overall design that makes the Rage less durable than a Muzzy or Montec.
In my opinion making a mechanical head that has moving parts as durable as a fixed broadhead has yet to be done.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the rage head didnt have at least the .035 thick blades, they would probably snap everytime you shot something with them. I believe the G5 tekans have .04 thick blades with a slightly smaller cutting diameter and they are all steel. Shorter thicker blades and a steel furrel will deffinetly stand up better in the durability department.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:01 PM

Last year i shot a 125# hog at 28 yards,went through both sholders and stuck in the mud.two days later(same rage) shot a 50# hog and also went through.Both hogs didnt go more then 25 yards.Rage broadheads hit like a 30-06
Old 08-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

^that is what my buddy told me. he said it was almost gross. he killed two with rages last year and one with a 4 blade muzzy. both did the trick, but he said that the damage from the rage was crazy.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Seems like the Monotec is working for you. I have not shot the Rage broadhead, but did use the Snyper for many years (similiar design with rear opening blades). My main gripe for this type of expandable is the way the blades set against the broadhead when resting. I stalk through some pretty heavy cover and the bow is sometimes held down along my leg facing backwards.A couple times I have had branches get hooked on the blades and pull them into the open position. I have always caught this before trying to take a shot. My concern was what if I had to snap shoot at a large buck,a blade was open and I did not catch it before shooting? I tested open blade shooting at my range (1 blade open, then two)andhad less then desirable at 20 yards. 2 feet from my intended target with one blade open. I figured if I was going to stalk in heavy cover, then a fixed would be a better choice as I do not have to worry about them.

The good: From a treestand where no braches would hit the blades, the flew straight and damage was impressive.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

There was a report in a recent bowhunting magazine testing durability of, i think, 14 different broadhead. In my opinion, nearly all of them did very well. Looking at them before the test I thought I could pick out which ones were going to do well and which would fail, but they all did pretty well actually. With that said, I will be using the Rage 2-blades this fall.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

[blockquote]
And I have given up on the Montec's ..... They are tough, but I just don't find them to be consistant in their sharpness. The sharper the better.....

I just dont understand this, I have never taken ANY broadhead out of a package and went afield, all do and will need sharpened, period. And the montechs are super easy to get sharp, I have just now purchased a diamond stone from G5 , but have had great results with a regular stone just lay it flat and make little circles. easy.and I have shot game that didn't even know they hadbeen hit...Now expandables, have you tried the Tekans? My co-worker swears by them says they leave a monster wound channel.
[/blockquote]
Old 08-30-2008, 09:11 AM

Fixed blades are always going to be more durable than mechanicals. That being said, if you use a Rage 2 or 3 blade, you will not be disappointed and in my opinion won't go back to the fixed blade.

Let me caveat with the fact that I use Slick Tricks on anything bigger than an Elk for the durability reason and the risk of failure.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:01 PM

Well by looking at a video of a guy shooting all types of broad heads at a barrel. I see mechanical being just as durable as fixed, in fact better then some.
But i kinda like the 2 blade RAGE. Never used it yet, but im sure it is a bad boy. Seen a few videos of after shots on deer and hogs with it. Seriously large cut in the animal from what i seen.

Quick Reply: Montech's or the Rage???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.