Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Montech's or the  Rage??? >

Montech's or the Rage???

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Montech's or the Rage???

Old 08-08-2008, 10:16 AM

Default Montech's or the Rage???

I have been shooting the G5 Montech for the last couple of years and and pretty happy with them. VERY solid and tough. They fly straight, and I can put one through BOTH shoulder blades and not worry about it falling apart....like my old Muzzys did!

My 1 gripe would be the smaller cutting diameter. I see the rage is a full 2".

I have heard alot about the Rage broadheads and they sound like they have come a long way from the older junk expandables. Is this true?? How "tough" are they? Do the blades fall off or get destroyed going throug bone?

I wouldnt use and expandable on anything real tough or big, but a Whitetail should be ok?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice!!

I shoot a Matthews Switchback with Beaman ICS Hunter Elite arrows.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:16 PM

Default RE: Montech's or the Rage???

I would go with the Rage. I have had the Montec's , and if you can find one as sharp as it is supposed to be, then hang on to it, but the rage is SHARP and yes, it is considerably larger in cutting diameter. Plus, being a mechanical, it flys like a field tip. I have considered trying other mechanicals, but with the quality of the Rage, there is no need to.

And I have given up on the Montec's ..... They are tough, but I just don't find them to be consistant in their sharpness. The sharper the better.....

MET

Old 08-08-2008, 01:13 PM

How do they look after going through a deer? Blades still intact?....I just love gutting an animal after it has been shot with a cheap mechanical broadhead.....just waiting to find all the missing blades with my hand!
Any issues when shooting at a animal thats quarting? Or from a high tree stand? I am really intrigued after seeing some of the HUGE holes those thing have put in deer! It sounds like with the design they have addressed some of these problems but I wanted to hear from some "real" people with "real" in-the-feild experience.

I definatly agree with the Montech not being consistantly sharp. I always sharpen them with a diamond stone when I get them and them use a gram scale to make sure the weights are identicle when I am done.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

I've shot through the "shoulder area" with a Rage and blew right through with no damage to the head.

Remember penetration on ashoulder hit can very greatly depending where and what you hit in that "area".

I've had Muzzy's stop on a dime, 2" of penetration, hitting the the hard part of the shoulder. I've also blown right through with basically the same shot, but a a inch difference in placement.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive heard great things about the rages, but you should check out the new Tekans by G5.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rage heads are good, not great and far from the answer to all your broadhead needs. If you were not happy with the durability of the Muzzys you will NOT be happy with the rage heads as far as durability goes. Not all shoulder shots are the same and 1/2" difference in shot placement can mean the difference between a full passthough and no penetration at all. I am not saying not to try the rage heads, just be aware that the Montecs and Muzzys are much tougher overall compared to the rage heads.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Spike

I don't use rage heads but a guy i work with does. He shot 2 deer with them last year and both times they needed to be replaced. He did recover both deer and still does use them yet. I wont try them because of the price, and i just don't believe in shooting a broadhead with moving parts. I shoot montechs and love them. They are tough and fly great. I have one montech that has been through 2 deer and all i had to do was clean it and resharpen it and its ready to go again.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 5 shot

Rage heads are good, not great and far from the answer to all your broadhead needs. If you were not happy with the durability of the Muzzys you will NOT be happy with the rage heads as far as durability goes. Not all shoulder shots are the same and 1/2" difference in shot placement can mean the difference between a full passthough and no penetration at all. I am not saying not to try the rage heads, just be aware that the Montecs and Muzzys are much tougher overall compared to the rage heads.
Muzzy blades .020 thickness
Rage 2 Blade .035 thickness

Which is more durable?

The Rage is plenty durable with the thick blades that are tough and cut a full 2" diameter.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been a long time user of Muzzy fixed blade broadheads. However this year I'll be using Slick Tricks. I started shooting them about 2 months ago and I have been really impressed. I bought a 3 pack because I've read a lot of good things here on the forums. They have not disappointed. My own testing is not as comprehensive as others but I can say that the Slick tricks have exceeded my expectations.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Split the difference and go with the G5 striker. Shoots VERY similar to the rage 2 and you don't have to replace all the parts after you shoot it. Theallen heads that hold therage are tiny and weak. I'vebroke two inside the head just tryingto get them apart andno I didn't turn it the wrong way. The rage is awesome but it's not perfect. I shoot both and prefer the striker for deer and rage for Turkey.

Quick Reply: Montech's or the Rage???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.