HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Looking to buy a new compound (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/256501-looking-buy-new-compound.html)

Exocet77 08-07-2008 01:35 AM

Looking to buy a new compound

Looking to buy a new compund bow. Been shooting a xbow for the last few years. Out of the loop on all the new fancy bows out there. The one I have is an old PSE Buckmaster series (old). Im a smaller framed guy so the bow must be 50lbs draw @ least. I know theres a lot of die heard bow fans for certain brands. Just getting some opinions. Would like to keep my budget between $5 - 600 max. I alread have my sights/quiver.

Any opinions on the different makes a models in that price . Looking for of a reputable bow with good customer service.

StrutNtom 08-07-2008 03:42 AM

RE: Looking to buy a new compound

Everyone is going to tell you the same thing. So, let me beat them to it. Go to an archery shop and shoot as many bows and you can then make your own decisions. LoL

One thing I would like to add though. You can find some amazing deals on used bows. A lot of these guys buy the newest bow from their favorite company every year. The sale bows that are only a year old (many less than that) for a fraction of the new sticker price. If I was right handed I would have a house full of bows.

BowTech makes the Equalizer which is specifically designed for "smaller" shooters. Elite makes the Fire/Ice which is the same thing as the Equlizer. HighCounty also has specific smaller cams for shoter DL.

Bows have changed a lot over the past few years. I bet that you could easily pull a 60lb and even some 70lb bows that feel lighter than your old bow.

Snood Slapper 08-07-2008 06:47 AM

In that price range, if you don't mind solo cam bows, I'd take a look at a Pearson Z-32 or Z-34. Right in that price range and their customer service is outstanding. You get a lot of bow for the money; lots of features you find on more expensive brands and some features that are unique to Pearson, like the ETI. Sometimes you can pick them up on ebay brand new for way less than that as well as they get closer to when the new models are coming out.

sixgunluvr 08-09-2008 01:18 AM

My advice... look for a new 2007 Bear Element, Instinct, or Truth if your looking for a budget bow that holds it own with the top end models. I like the Parker Wildfire XP and EZ Draw33 also. Several Reflex(Parent Co.Hoyt) models also come to mind. I also like the looks of the Mission X3(Parent Co. Mathews).
If you pick up a few of these I'm sure you'll find something that feels right for you.
I'm sure other members here will add several I failed to mention, their are many great new bows on the market for under $600 that are big on performance. I got a 2007 Bear Instinct for $258 a couple more guys on here have Bear models that they got for similar prices., generally the Mathews, Bowtechs, and upper line Hoyts run 600+

SevenMag 08-09-2008 09:38 AM

lets ask a few more questions.... how small are you?? height/weight... what draw length are you talkin about?? I thought I wanted a 60# bow until I pulled back a smooth drawing 70# bow... I thought the black ice was awfully smooth, I ended up buying a ross, possibly the smoothest drawing bow i've ever fired... personally, in that price range i'd consider buying a nice used one, but if you want new a closeout/left-over black ice would be tough to pass on... or even a liberty...

Buckmaster519 08-10-2008 10:43 PM

Yea im 5'8" 195 and i shoot a hoyt mt sport with a 27" draw and 55 pounds. I just happened to get a good deal on my bow but the new bears as sixgunlvr suggested are the best bet i think and they wont cost you an arm and a leg. But also take the advice from StrutNtom as well go shoot different ones and see which you find more comfortable and one that fits you.

Good Luck

Colten

thehairlessone! 08-11-2008 06:13 AM

Shoot them all and and what you like. You really can find some great deals on used bows too if you look. Some of them are hard to beat cause they want to get a new bow each year and you can save 1/3 off the price of a brand new one on a 1 yr. old bow.

I just did! :D

rick