Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 How do I get more Speed??? >

How do I get more Speed???

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

How do I get more Speed???

Old 08-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default How do I get more Speed???

I shoot a normal setup... Nothing real fancy. A Bear Truth with Carbon Express Arrows. I shoot a little heavier than IBO, about 5.7g a pound. I pull 70 pounds and 30 inch draw. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How do I get more Speed???

Less weight on the string, more poundage or more draw length. Those are the only ways to get more speed with the last two not necessarily recomended.

As far as less weight goes you can reserve your center serving shorter, use just a string loop, use a light weight peep like a Meta peep, get a STS or similar and take out the leeches, purchase a custom string and cablewith lighter and stronger fibers and/or less strands.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

If your shooting camo arrows go with just plain black carbon. Every little bit helps.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Positioning "speed buttons" strategically near the cams can improve speed as well. Many manufactures are using these now. To do this you really need a chronograph so you can find the sweet spots on the strings. I prefer using rubber cushion buttons because you don't have to press your bow to put them on. You can use plain nocks as well, which is what manufactures that send bows out with them usually do, but you should cover them with shrink tape. To me that can be a pain because you have to press your bow and add unnecessary heat to your string to get it on.

As said, lighten up the rest of the things on your string will help as well. I find using a string stopper/suppressor is all I need on my bow to quiet the string, so I don't use tied on string silencers. Also, if you use a clamp style nock on your string, replace it with one made out of serving; very easy to do. If you use a peep with tubing and you are using your factory strings, replace your string and cables with a custom set and put in a peep with no tubing. A custome string that has been settled will not twist and eliminate the need for tubing. You can even lighten up peeps with G5 meta peeps.

Hope some of this helps.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:35 PM

the less things on the string the better...get some speed nocks will get you around 15fps

Old 08-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Buy a speed bow. I have the 101 and could not be happier. Practicing out to 100 yards. This bow is amazing.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

As far as less weight goes you can reserve your center serving shorter, use just a string loop, use a light weight peep like a Meta peep, get a STS or similar and take out the leeches, purchase a custom string and cablewith lighter and stronger fibers and/or less strands.
This is dead on along with speed nocks. However, some people get no additional speed with the STS or speed nocks.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Speed nocks will definetlyhelp pick up a few fps.if you figure out where to put them.

For example..... I made my daughter a new string for her Hoyt. I chronographed her bow before and after adding three brass nocks near the cam. Her bow picked up 3-4 fps with the brass nocks.

Usually, but not always, the increase in speed with an STS type of string stop is from taking off the regular string silencers. Chronographing a bow by just adding a STS system and not changing anything elseI have seen speed increase, no increase, and decrease. Same goes with noise. These seem to be bow dependant as to how much they will help or hurt.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

STS position may make a difference too. With my STS the whole way down I gain 7-8 fps. With it anywhere else it's the same as none at all. STS on friend's Switchback does nothing at all. He took it off and just sold it.