HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   New Bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/254189-new-bow.html)

HerbGrundy 07-24-2008 05:31 AM

New Bow

Hey All...I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice from those of you that know bows! I've been shooting a Golden Eagle for quite a few years....I know, a little old....and heavy....but all in all a good shooting bow. I'm in the market for a brand new bow. I've been looking in outdoor life magazine at their bow test 2008. I want to buy a Mathews because of their reputation and how they shoot, but was not impressed with the rating they got in Outdoor Life (at least the new DXT model). I know the Drenaline scores very well..but I'm not sure if Im ready to spend $850-900 on a bow. So here's the question. Mathews also makes Mission bows...at least I think that's correct. I started looking at the impressive Mission Journey....new for this year. And the best part is that it's only $599. Does anyone know anything about these Mission bows and the relationship between Mathews and Mission? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

WVSPORTSMAN 07-24-2008 09:31 AM

RE: New Bow

mission is a good bow, mathews is mission archery, sorta like bowtech and diamond. Shoot a bunch of bows, stay in your budget and pick something that fits you. Don't trust everything you read in those mags, find out for yourself...o'l and have fun doing it....welcome to the forum

HLTJR 08-02-2008 08:27 PM

I didn't want to spend the money either. I shot the general and the DXT. I was far more impressed with the smoothness and quietness of the DXT. I like cause it is short and I am vertically challenged. Afterall DXT is for Drenalin XT. Go with what feels good in your hand and pocket book. They are expensive i got close to 1200 tied up in mine. But don't regret it .

odom82 08-02-2008 09:40 PM

That is still a lot of money... I shot a mathews for many years, aboutnine,and still really like their bows, but as you said w/ their name and reputation comes more money. I'm not saying that Mathews is not a quality product, because it is, they make great bows. I moved to the Bear Truth 1 last year and for the money you will have a hard time beating it. Have shot the Truth 2 and does not seem to shoot much different to me. Basically I'm just saying ( remember this is coming from an old ex Mathews advocate ) that there are so many good bows out there these days and I would not get caught up in a certain brand. Actually many bows have better warranties than Mathews. Anyway not that this post helps or was even on topic, but..............

MB77 08-11-2008 06:34 PM

ORIGINAL: odom82

That is still a lot of money... I shot a mathews for many years, aboutnine,and still really like their bows, but as you said w/ their name and reputation comes more money. I'm not saying that Mathews is not a quality product, because it is, they make great bows. I moved to the Bear Truth 1 last year and for the money you will have a hard time beating it. Have shot the Truth 2 and does not seem to shoot much different to me. Basically I'm just saying ( remember this is coming from an old ex Mathews advocate ) that there are so many good bows out there these days and I would not get caught up in a certain brand. Actually many bows have better warranties than Mathews. Anyway not that this post helps or was even on topic, but..............
I agree. Some good info there. Just out of curiosity what is the warranty on Bear bows?

ranger6 08-11-2008 07:41 PM

just don't read the articles! get off your grundy and go shoot some bows that's what is going to make yourchoice and much you spend. good luck!

sean76 08-27-2008 07:39 PM

I own a mission journey and love it and i have owned a lot of top end bows.I sells for about $550 and is worth every penny

fenrick 08-27-2008 07:55 PM

It's good that you're doing some research, but don't overthink that stuff. A bow will shoot great for one person, but just feel wrong to the next.

I think the best idea is to go to your local archery shop, and handle the bows. Geta feel for what YOU like and what you don't. Most stores will let you shoot the bows before you buy them. Shoot, and shoot a bunch of them. You'll learn quickly what works good with you and your shooting style.

If you have a good archery shop nearby, the employees should bend over backwards to make sure YOU'RE happy. After all, that is what it's all about. Don't let anyone pressure you into a certain brand name. If you like it that's all that matters whether it be PSE, Matthews, Hoyt, the Cabelas Special, or anything inbetween.

Good luck and keep us informed.

jreger_06_13 08-30-2008 02:58 PM

grundy i hope your search is going well and as the rest of these guys have said do get up stop researching and go shoot, as for the difference between the dxt or any Matthews bow and the mission having shot a whole bunch i can tell one major difference and thats in hand shock. after shooting the Dxt the drenaline and owning a switchback shooting the mission just felt like the price tags were difference as i pulled the trigger on the release i could feel the mission vibrate in my hand where as the other matthews bow sat still on target and fired the arrow down range. But get up shoot some bows and find out for yourself this is just my experience having shot the two, when you do try out some bows make sure to focus on draw smoothness depending on what you like in a draw, let off percentage, hand shock and vibration, how easy it is to hold the bow on target at full draw, along with how the bow reacts after you pull the trigger including cam torque and bow torque whether it twists side to side and if it falls back or forwards.

JeramyK 08-30-2008 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: HerbGrundy

..but I'm not sure if Im ready to spend $850-900 on a bow.
All manufacturers have a MSRP sticker price but to be honest I have never paid that price. At the Mathews dealers that I have been to I have not seen a bow priced over $699. Same with Bowtech, Hoyt, PSE, etc. etc. Maybe it is different depending on where you live.