HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Guardian or General??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/248848-guardian-general.html)

TexasBowHunter 06-09-2008 08:52 PM

Guardian or General???

Ok guys, I am now comfortable with the commander and love it but I have sold my other two bows and am now looking for a nother bow and I have decided between the general or guardian.....Tell me the pro's and con's...I am already kinda leanintowards the guardian but want to make sure there isn't anything I might not be considering....Any input will be appreciated!!!!!!

Edit: I thought I had seen this post before but couldn't find it in through the search...

TexasBowHunter 06-10-2008 08:05 AM

RE: Guardian or General???

ttt

formula1 06-10-2008 09:07 AM

I have the new 08 General and my opinion is it's much more refined, has a better feel whenyou shoot it,and has better cams than the 2008(or 2007)Guardian. Long brace, good speed, and better overall. The shorter A-to-A took me some getting used to but I like it now.

I'm betting the Guardian (or new renamed replacement) will be refined for 09, but just a guess.

luke/r 06-10-2008 01:15 PM

It took me awhile to make the same decision. When it came down to it I got the Guardian. After shooting both, the Guardian was the one I felt more comfortable with. I am very pleased with my choice and I really like my bow.Good luck with your decision, you can't go wrong with either choice.

hmthtrfan 06-10-2008 01:28 PM

personnally i didn't like the cams on the guardian, that was the biggest deciding factor for myself. you will be happy eitherway.:)

Hoytrocks 06-10-2008 07:07 PM

I actually as the my name implies I shoot Hoyt's but I have shot both the Guardian and General quite a bit and I really do like the Guardian. It's a little hard on the draw but I think it has a great release and if it's not quite as good as the General put a string suppressor on it....I like how the General shoots but I can't get past that string suppressor right above the knock point....hate that with a passion. It may be a personal thing but it's alway in my way to knock an arrow.

PABowhunter4life 06-10-2008 08:39 PM

I'm a Mathews guy but between the 2 listed I would definitely choose the Guardian. IMO it was smoother and quieter than the General.

buschwacked 06-11-2008 06:17 AM

I was in the exact same boat. Both are excellent bows with zero hand shock. I ended up goingwith the Guardian. I just liked the draw cycle a little better.
You cant go wrong with either one. Just pick the one that feels better to you.

shishkabob slim 06-12-2008 06:14 PM

Well I have the Guardian and love it. The main reason I purchased it was the high kinetic energy, the smooth draw cycle and the low shock. My in-laws had Mathews and when I got the Guardian the difference in noise and shock was very noticable. The both got Generals this year. My Father-in-law liked his General because of the low shock, vibration and noise. He'sold and his hands hurt with his other bow. My brother-in-law liked his General because of the anodized red cams, he said it made his bow sexy!! I guess he'll be hunting does this season.
Anyway, comparing the two after many months of shooting there is a marked difference in the two. The General is noticable quieter and the almost no shock. The Guardian is faster and hits harder. I find the Guardian easier to shoot dots because of the heavier weight and longer ATA ( only 2" longer) and I think the Guardian is smoother ( or I am more use to the draw cycle). When I say hits harder, it knocks the center part of the Glendale buck target back a few inches.

RefusetoFollow 06-14-2008 01:18 PM

I had a Guardian until about 2 months ago when I traded it for a General. I really liked my Guardian, but the General is a little smoother, more forgiving with a long brace height, and IMO a better bow. Like has already been said, the cams are better, plus you get the roller cable guard instead of the slide and the shortstop. The only thing is that on the General you have to use a bow press for everything and on the Guardian you don't.
I liked both bows and I am sure you would too. As far as one being faster than the other, I have never shot either one through a chrono, but have shot both on a techno system that gives arrow speed. My Guardian averaged around 309 and my General is always around 317. I expected it to be slower, maybe its because of less weight on the bow string (no kisser button or string silencers).