Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Carbon Express Maxima 250's or 350's >

Carbon Express Maxima 250's or 350's

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Carbon Express Maxima 250's or 350's

Old 05-12-2008, 01:21 AM

Default Carbon Express Maxima 250's or 350's

I would like to hear everyones opinion on this that shoots these arrows. I own Mathews DXT set up at 70lbs with a 27 inch draw. I also shoot 100 grain Slick Trick broadheads. I currently shoot CX Maxima 250's but also have 1/2 dozen of CX Maxima 350's in the same length. I shoot very well with the 250's but I feel that they maybe a little light for my set up. With the grain difference and the spine, does anyone know which arrow I "should" be shooting. I know the 350 will give me a little speed loss, but I will gain more KE. My thing is I wanna be able to have enough punch to to hit the deer like a semi truck at 40 yards. I know the 350 will do that, but will the 250? Any replys would be appreciated. Thanks alot.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Carbon Express Maxima 250's or 350's

I would have to agree that the 250s are probably just a touch light in the spine, however the 350 at the same length will be as stiff as rebar.

To be quite honest, what you should be considering is reducing the poundage of your bow to get the 250s to spine properly. A DXT at 67# would have more than enough "umph" to get the job done on whitetails. Besides, you don't want the animal to feel the hit like a truck. You want a super sharp broadhead and a perfectly flying arrow to cut cleanly in one side and right on out the other, with as little notification to the animal as possible.

As for the heavier arrow scenario, your KE will increase just a hair due to your bow being more efficent with a heavier arrow, however getting it tuned properly with a very stiff arrow can be challenging. If you wanted to shoot the 350, you will most likely end up having to leave them at least an inch longer than your normal arrow length just to get the spine down.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Your draw length is 27" but how long are your arrows. Most people are about an inch shorter than their draw length.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 AM

I shoot the Maxima 250'sat 26"out of a Hoyt HavocTec and have great groups and success with these arrows. My bow is set at 65#'s and I have no trouble with penetration....complete pass through's nearly every time shooting a 100 grain Muzzy 3 blade. I would have to agree with 98redline and say that you would be better off by lowering your poundage tothemid 60's range and continue with the maxima 250's. That combined with the well tuned DXT and Slick Trick head you would have a flawless set up in my opinion. One that I would not worry about when the moment of truth is stompin down the trail!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

I would stick to the 350's. I only shoot 55 pounds, and have used both. I have never had trouble with either, until this weekend I shot a 276 pound russian boar, and my 250 broke into three pieces. It happend so fast that Im not sure of the cause. I may have just had a defective arrow. At first I though I had a pass through because I couldnt see my arrow,but I walked over and found the fletched end broke off on the ground. It did its job because it went through far enough to exit the other side, but when we cut him open, it was broke inside as well. I almost wonder if when he tensed up as soon as he was hit, if he didnt some how snap it. Either way, he's dead, but I may use my 350's if Im going to be shooting tougher skinned game like boar. Here is a pick of the arrow.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/thatsmutiny/100_2110ph.jpg
Old 05-12-2008, 09:50 PM

If it's penetration you want, go to the Easton Axis FMJ. A 340 series should be about right at 28".
Old 05-12-2008, 11:21 PM

I shoot a 27 inch draw with a 26.5 inch arrow. I currently shoot the 250's but have also shot the 350's. I also got the 350's to shoot very well out of the bow as well. I really like the CX Maxima arrows so going to another kind of arrow probably wont happen. Does anyone know what the speed difference would be?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

Hold on before you fork out the $$ for a way overspined shaft...

My DXT is between 68 and 70 lbs with a 27" draw. I've experimented with shafts from 26" to 28" long. According to OnTarget the optimum spine for that setup ranges from .400 to .430 roughly so the 250 (or anynear .400 spine series shaft) is what you want, but make sure you go with a long enough shaft to keep above the 5 gpp min. Some of the CX shafts are pretty light.

I ran some numbers and you'd have to have a 30" shaft if you went with the 350 series, if you put more weight out front then that would change things.

PM if you need more info

Old 05-18-2008, 02:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maxima's are a great shooter, very consistant, best I have. However, they will break, my brother and I broke 5 350s last season. They just snap right in to and the finish is the worst of any I've ever shot. There's no reason they can't be silent coated for the money, I dipped mine.

I'd try the 250 first, or and better yet get 6 of both and sell the one's that don't work just make up one of each.

Tried fmj's and acc's this year so far, neither makes me want to scream from the roof tops about them either, good, kind of boring and the finish also is noisie. The quietest shaft I have is the beman ics hunter elite. When you pull one of these you know what quiet is and in a hunting arrow there really no excuse for a noisie one. Almost as quiet as cutting through warm butter.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

the 250's are perfect for 3D or any target shooting,but for hunting i would take the 350'sthere stiffer spined for angled shots your less than perfect shots and there a little heavier than the 250's...........Ted

Quick Reply: Carbon Express Maxima 250's or 350's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.