HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Best Safety Harness for Climbers?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/244656-best-safety-harness-climbers.html)

onehornjimmy 05-01-2008 07:58 PM

Best Safety Harness for Climbers??

I am looking a safety harness that works well with climbing tree stands. Seems there are some great harnesses out there, but nothing I have found is geared toward use for cimbers? Any recommendations?

drockw 05-01-2008 09:24 PM

RE: Best Safety Harness for Climbers??

hunters safety system. ive never felt more comfortable and safe in a climber. get the solid vest if you get one though bc the mesh style gets stuck on stuff. theyre expensive but hey, its your life that it will save.

pipecrew 05-03-2008 07:41 AM

I went with the Loggy Bayou Transformer harness. It's nice and light and holds its shape so it's easy to get in and out. It also has a binocular harness built into it.

I also started using a 20 foot Fall Guy retractor safety strap. Once you get it on the tree you can hook the strap at the base of the tree so you can be hooked up the whole time you're climbing up or down the tree. It acts like a seat belt and locks when there is a sudden movement. I saw a friend fall about 8 feet off a ladder and the image of his broken wrist will always stay with me. You can buy just the retractor at Dick's Sporting Goods for around $50 or $60. I won't ever go up a tree again without it!

Mike

GRIZZLYMAN 05-03-2008 03:58 PM

ORIGINAL: drockw

hunters safety system. ive never felt more comfortable and safe in a climber. get the solid vest if you get one though bc the mesh style gets stuck on stuff. theyre expensive but hey, its your life that it will save.
I went through an IBEP class last weekend where one of the instructors swore by it. Apparently, he had a lock on collapse on him and had a chance to test the Hunter Safety System for real.

I think I may have to buy one and try it.

BowHuntingFool 05-03-2008 04:37 PM

I use the Hunter Safety System with my Lone Wolf tether/prussic knot, works well and easy up and easy down the tree attached to the tree the whole way!!

YooperMike 05-06-2008 07:10 AM

I use the HSS too with my Summit. The summit stands come with a great prussic system, which I prefer over the HSS tree attachment system. I've never had a problem with my mesh snagging on stuff. I am not connected to anything while going up the tree though, so if you are looking for something for safety while ascending and descending, you can get the lineman's system from HSS too. I have one that I use for putting up lock ons and it works real nice. They are a pain in the arse to climb with becuase you have to move it up the tree, but once you get to your destination, you can have both hand free.