Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Garmin Rino 120???

Old 03-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default Garmin Rino 120???

I just picked up a Garmin Rino 120 for $120 bucks. Im wondering if anyone out there has one and how you like it? Does it recieve good reception? What is involved in downloading maps?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Garmin Rino 120???

The only thing I can help you out a little bit is the mapping.

You have to buy additional map CD'sand then load them onto the unit. You can not download them from a site or anything like that.

From a review:
"come with a base map of the major roads and towns in North America and a limited set of "Points of Interest" data showing restaurants, gas stations, etc.Details for city parks are sketchy, not all streets are shown, and the detail gets thinner away from towns. The Rino 120 allows you do download up to 8 MB of Garmin map definitions from any of their MapSourceĀ® map CDs.

All MapSource map sets run in the same software engine, and may be chosen for download from menu selection on a desktop or laptop. Customized map sets can be created by clicking on the screen with a selection tool to add or remove map sectors from the set. The map set window states how much memory is required for the set and alerts you if it exceeds the 8 MB maximum size. Unfortunately, 8 MB is insufficient to hold enough detailed maps for an extended trip to remote locales such as Alaska, California, Florida, or Texas. You can save some room by not downloading route and point of interest information, but when in an unfamiliar area, finding the next gas station or restaurant can be very useful. At the moment, the best solutions are to take along your map CDs and a laptop or make sure you can find places to use a computer with a CD drive where they will let you install software. Future Rinos may have a slot for SD or xD memory cards, but neither the 110 nor the 120 have that capability now. Downloading is performed over an included serial data cable. If the serial ports are all in use or unavailable on your computer, using a serial-to-USB converter and plugging into a USB port works well."
Old 03-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Garmin Rino 120???

Haha when I seen the title of this thread I thougt there was a new style of Broadhead out??[&:]