Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Opinions Needed - Hoyt Trykon >

Opinions Needed - Hoyt Trykon

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Opinions Needed - Hoyt Trykon

Old 03-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default Opinions Needed - Hoyt Trykon

A friend of mine has finally talked me into getting into bow hunting and archery. I've found a fully set up Hoyt Trykon (2 years old) that one of my co-workers is asking $400 for.

It comes with more stuff than I know exactly what it is (I'm an archery newbie). Stabilizer, whisker bisquit, tru-glo single pin sight, quiver, case, arrows (4), release, etc.

I'm okay with the price, I just wanted to get some input on the bow itself.

All input is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:36 AM

Default RE: Opinions Needed - Hoyt Trykon

The bow itself is outstanding, and the price is good. You won't be taken for a ride.......

BUT.....since you are a newbie, and don't know much about it.....Make absolutely 100% certain the draw length is correct, and the draw weight. The Zephyr cam on the Trykon is a non adjustable draw length, it is what it is and you can't change it if it's too short/long without buying new cams, and also possibly new cables, string and limbs. Make sure......And I mean SURE.......that draw length is correct for you.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, my friend will be going with me to make sure that the draw length is where it needs to be. How exactly does one know what the draw length should be on a bow?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:18 AM

IMO I found that the break over on the trykon was a little rough. It breaks over real hard to me. I would shoot it first to make sure you are comfortable with the break over as you get into the letoff
Old 03-07-2008, 02:46 PM

The Tyrkon does have a rough draw cycle.If I were you,I'd take the time and go to a PRO shop,have your draw lenght mearsured and the bow checked out.Hoyt makes a great bow,so thats not the issue,and for $400.00,the price isn't bad.One other item,When you go to a PRO shop(no big box stores),please be willing to pay the man for any and all advice.I'm not saying that you would'nt,it just floors me to see that time and time again,in the shop I hang out in,guys think time and efford is free.Good Luck,and thanks for listening to one of my "pet peeves"rants...Bob
Old 03-07-2008, 02:53 PM

I traded my 2007 Allegiance for a 2006 Trykon this month and have no regrets.

I wouldn't descirbe the draw cycle as harsh. Its smooth, but feels heavy, if that makes sense. There is little to no valley, meaning that once you're over the hump you're in the wall. It takes a few shots to get used to, but I love it now.

$400 for a fully set up Trykon is a good deal, and you'd do well by buying it. Ditto what Mobow said about the draw length, but if everything is where it needs to be, I'd take the plunge.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:37 PM

I just sold a Trykon I shot for about 1 year.
The bow is a good shooter and very accurate.
I have to agree on the cam break over...it's a little tough to get used to.
I've had more than a few arrows jump off the rest when the cams broke over. If you're just starting out get something smoother. The Hoyt's are great quality bows, but the Trykon isn't a starter bow IMO. If you want to stay w/ Hoyt , take a look at the Vectrix. They have a smoother cam , the same riser and same speed.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:45 AM

X2. I find the Vectrix to be a smoother drawing and more shootable bow. Still, that is a good price. I paid about that much for a new Reflex Growler set up about the same.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobow

The bow itself is outstanding, and the price is good. You won't be taken for a ride.......

BUT.....since you are a newbie, and don't know much about it.....Make absolutely 100% certain the draw length is correct, and the draw weight. The Zephyr cam on the Trykon is a non adjustable draw length, it is what it is and you can't change it if it's too short/long without buying new cams, and also possibly new cables, string and limbs. Make sure......And I mean SURE.......that draw length is correct for you.
x2
Old 03-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

I just sold mine that I shot for just over 2 years, I really loved it and shot it well. I'm just upgrading to the new katera. Yes the draw is a bit to get used to but just as a pointer, on the bottom cam there is a little allen screw with a white cover on it. That screw adjusts the "feel" of the valley, if is isn't there that is the longest valley but I can't remember the positions for the medium and hard wall? there is two holes you can put it in, to start out I would leave it out but as you get more comfortable with the bow you can try the other 2 holes to see how it feels. $400 is good, I got $500 for mine -- no arrows, schaffer rest, trophy ridge sight, truglo stabilizer.

Quick Reply: Opinions Needed - Hoyt Trykon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.