Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Getting back in..what bow? >

Getting back in..what bow?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Getting back in..what bow?

Old 02-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Spike

Default Getting back in..what bow?

Been reading awhile, just thought id make first post. Taking tax money and buying new bow. I havent hunted in 7 years. Had an old Browning mirage and loved it. Looking at Reflex Ridgeline, Bear Truth, or heard good things about PSE Stinger. Any thoughts? Owners? Looking at the obviously for budget reasons. Thanks
Old 02-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Getting back in..what bow?

Best bet is to go shoot all of the bows you listed as well as some others. Try the Bowtech Tomkat. It's about the same price as those I think and is a nice bow. Like me, you will find out that today's bows are so much nicer then then ones from 7 or 8 yrs ago.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bear Instinct is a sweet bow. I bought mine for $400. They don't make them anymore but some places might still have some 07 models. You could probably get a good used for pretty cheap.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:59 PM

You can get a Bear Truth 1 New for less than $300 on eBay right now. I really like mine, however, there is one design flaw on them. Their draw length modules put premature wear on the cable serving. Really easy and cheap fix. My local bow shop just rounded off the edges of the draw length module for like $10. They said that should take care of the problem. Plus I contacted Bear Archery about it, and they are replacing my string and cables free of charge. So kudos to their customer service. Ipick up the bow tomorrow, and cangive an update if wanted.I bought mine new on eBay for $380 at the time, and I really like the bow. Not saying it is better than the Bowtechs or the Mathews, but it shoots just as well for me. Plus compare $300 to $800. You can buy a whole other bow and accessories for that.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

When I was trying them out in Dec. 07, I had to drive to many dealers to get the right poundage and try many models and manuf. Some dealers really don't want to give you the time of day. I was at a dealer in PA trying out the bowtech lines and this guy was grade A arse. I told me that he didn't want to put the module on to match my draw unless I was seriously considering buying a bow. I really don't know how much more obvious I could have been walking in with my old bow and asking him what I could use off of it. Anyway, he lost a say. I tried the hoyt, mathews, and bowtech lines. I ended up with the 101 airborne and I am really happy with it. I guess I should get to my point. I just went to a deer and turkey expose and they had several manuf. and ~400 bows and they were letting people shoot them.This might be the best way to give them a try. That's my 2 cents.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

Best bet is to go shoot all of the bows you listed as well as some others. Try the Bowtech Tomkat. It's about the same price as those I think and is a nice bow. Like me, you will find out that today's bows are so much nicer then then ones from 7 or 8 yrs ago.
X2!! The TomKat is one of the best bargains in Archery. It is one of the best shooting, performing bows out there, and it sells for a price that most can afford.

Dan
Old 02-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I had to do it over again, I would buy a used bow. I know about the "warranty" issue, but if
you buy a quality bow that seems like not so big a deal.

Some people upgrade every year and leave behind some great bows for a steal.

I love my bow and spent almost 1k with all the fixins, but I could have bought it now for probably half that.

In the next couple years, I'm probably gonna buy a used 82nd Airborne with trimmings at about half off.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Spike

I have the Reflex Ridgeline. I love this bow. I too had been out of archery for a while & I am well impressed w/ this bow. It drives tacks @ 65 lbs. shooting Beman Hunter arrows. It is quiet & I have the 32 in. ATA. I have not hunted w/ it yet, but plan on hunting at least Mulies & Javalina w/ it this year. Like said before.... shoot all of them if you can. No one can tell you how a bow is supposed to feel to you. Just comfortable, that's what you are looking for. Then all the other bells & whistles are a bonus.

Quakklz
Old 02-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

you also might want to look at the Diamond bows.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:46 AM

The bear truth is a very nice bow.

Quick Reply: Getting back in..what bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.