HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   mechanicals vs fix blades (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/231366-mechanicals-vs-fix-blades.html)

alwaysthikinghunter 02-08-2008 01:53 AM

mechanicals vs fix blades

What are the pros to mechanicals I just dont see it but lets hear some of them. Fix blade guys lets hear you defend our fixs blades.

Rick12 02-08-2008 02:38 AM

RE: mechanshticals vs fix blades

I personally see no pro to fixed blades. i have been a pro hunting guide since 1977, in maine. i quit guiding in 99 I use only fixed blades, over the years wehave had to look for more game, shot with mechic than any other broadhead, i personally, found a bunch of new razorback 5 for sale in a shop the was closing, and bought 7 packs of them, not once have they ever failed, that is just my opinion through observation. and looking for wounded bear at night with a flashlight and a nerous client is pretty good obsevation< grin>

Rick12 02-08-2008 02:41 AM

my apoligies i ment i see no pros to mechinicals <is what happens when you cant sleep and try to think>

longbeardbuster 02-08-2008 03:32 AM

I am a fixed blade man myself. I started off using Thunderhead 100's and used them for several years until the season before last when I switched to Slick Trick 100's. The Slick Tricks are the real deal and fly just like field pointsout of my setup. I triedthe Wasp JackHammer expandables 1 time and the very first time I practiced with themI shotone at a target it broke off at the threads, needless to say that was enough for me.I can't imagine the expandables flying any better, being anytougher or being morereliable than the Slick Tricks.

101airborne 02-08-2008 05:19 AM

i have always shot muzzys and killed everything i hit, so why did i try the new rage 3and 2 blade exp. broad heads i dont know, 1st they fly perfect no pin adjustment 2nd the damage and blood trail is unreal, i will use them next year also only 1 problem they wont stay closed in your quiver, good luck

sbooy42 02-08-2008 07:46 AM

I tune my bow using fixed heads, Montecs & Slick Tricks, But when I go hunting I screw on Spitfires...Reason being they leave a bigger hole which makes for easier tracking..thats if they don't fall in sight.. But the biggest reason is they are more forgiving when it comes odd shooting positions, torqueing, and canning effects that can happen in the heat of the moment....

MeanV2 02-08-2008 09:48 AM

With the Quality of Fixed blades currently on the market the mechanicals really have no advantage and do run the risk of not working properly. Some guys just like Gadgets;)

Dan

gmil6184 02-08-2008 12:54 PM

all things being equal the mechanicals usually make a bigger hole then the fixed blades and that is why a lot of guys love them...valid reason I suppose. But a well placed fixed blade is going to kill that animal just as fast as that expandable. and the fact that the expandable has an extra quarter of an inch cutting diameter is kind of a moot point when you put the arrow in the vitals. I don't think a mechanical is going to turn a marginal shot into a clean kill any better then a fixed blade would...in my opinion anyways. Even though everyone claims that mechanical now are very reliable (and i'm sure they are) it is still just another thing for me to worry about in the back of my mind, whether I need to or not. So for me, the simplicity of a big cut-on-contact fixed blade is where its at.

PS...don't say anything bad about Rage two blades, you'll be tarred and feathered haha

annika3 02-08-2008 12:57 PM

First of all I don't thinkyou can put all expandables in the same basket. Thereare 2 categories of expandables: rear-opening and over the top. I believe rear opening has many pro's and NO cons.

Rear opening advantages (Rage)

1. Fly like field points- fixed can out to a certain distance but fixed can have more flight problems on
windy days. Fixed gives you more flight problems with bad form, bad release,
torqueing the bow,untuned bow

2. Large cutting diameters- A large fixed head is usually 1 1/4" diameter wher the Rage is 2". This is a
a HUGE difference when it comes to blood trail and damage to an animal.

3.Gives you both a large entrance and exit hole- Fixed, because of the cutting diameter, does not give
the opportunity for large holes like the Rage. Over
the top expandables do not give you the large
entrance hole that is so, so important because of
the blades having to flip all the way over the top to
fully open.

4.Great penetration- because the blades simply slide back there is basically no loss of KE when using
the Rage which enables full penetration.

5.Rage 2 blade is 100% guaranteed to open. There is absolutely no way for it not to open so it actually becomes just like a fixed head on contact but with all the above advantages.

6. No defection (for full penetration) on quartering shots that can happen with most over the top expandables.

huntbigb 02-08-2008 03:09 PM

I use the G5 Tekan II. I killed a buck with it this year huge entry and exit hole...i saw blood spray out when he ran. He ran 30 yards at the most and piled up. I did have to get a quiver with a mechanical foam insert. The pre-cut holes keep the heads from opening...did have trouble before though. I switched to mechanical because I was tired of having to move my pins when switching from field points to broadheads.