Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 mechanicals vs fix blades >

mechanicals vs fix blades

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

mechanicals vs fix blades

Old 02-09-2008, 07:39 PM

Default RE: mechanicals vs fix blades

Limiting penetration is a good idea for turkeys. I tried dulling the points on the regular spitfires, and still got pass throughs. Finally, put an Adder washer in between the shaft and broadhead -head went about 2/3 of the way through. Dispatched bird pretty quickly. I have heard that the Grasshopper washer works about as well.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Roskoe
Didn't even think of that...

Old 02-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: mechanshticals vs fix blades

I used to use mechanicals untilI was stalk hunting and noticed a weed or something I walked through caused one of the blades to partially open.If I was to draw and shoot when that happened without noticing you know the outcome would not have been good.I switched to fixed blades and never looked back.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:03 AM

sbooy42 You make a good piont. I relize your not lazy I thought you where a person who didnt know what they were talking about. I guess its my opinion to sight in for what i shoot but there are other ways like you said i guess the reason I dont is because I have a bow for hunting and competition.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:26 AM

I was at the Harrisburg Sportsmans Show recently and talked to a lot of Maine bear outfitters. I am interested in one with a bow. Nearly all of them made a comment about expandables. Seems in their experience, they wound too many bear. I have always liked a fixed head and am not not thinking about switching, but I thought the comments were interesting.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MECHDOC

I used to use mechanicals untilI was stalk hunting and noticed a weed or something I walked through caused one of the blades to partially open.If I was to draw and shoot when that happened without noticing you know the outcome would not have been good.I switched to fixed blades and never looked back.

I wish I had two bows to do both with... Unfortunalty right now I have to make sure I can shoot a deer in morning with Montecs...shoot 3d @ lunch then shoot a deer in the pm with Spitfires.... Man, that would be great day...
Good luck
Old 02-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

I think that in reality it all comes down to being practiced up, tuned up, and confident in your broadhead. Obviously, fixed and mechanicals both work but one or the other might be more effective based on different variables. I've shot 3 different broadheads over the last 3 years (2fixed...thunderheads & Muzzy, 1 mechanical...rage) and I'm confident that each will do their job if I do mine....I think it is very similar to picking a car...each will drive, some are better than others, but each of us have a preference as to which car we think is best. The debate will never end and new technology is right around the corner that will convince millions of consumers that their broadhead won't kill a deer as well as theirs. Practice, practice, practice and shoot with sharp broadheads. I don't think that deer have a preference which head you shoot.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

Mechanicals are UNFAIR. I never get to track any deer since they never make it farther than 60 yards. I shot a buck one time and he made it 70 yards. I followed his trail and never once looked at the ground. He sprayed so much blood on every tree he even came close to. I use to love tracking deer, oh well i just guess have to live with the fact that if i hit a deer properly there is no way that i will not find it...
Old 02-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

I use both Muzzys and Shockwaves.I tried the mechanicals simply because I like the idea of the cutting edge not being exposed until it reaches the target.