Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

101 compared to General

Old 02-03-2008, 06:10 PM

Default 101 compared to General

The local bow shop finally got in a 101st that I was able to shoot for a little while, along with a General.

It wasn't a full apples to apples comparison, the 101 was set at 70 lbs while the general was at 60 lbs. Both were at 29" draw length.

Once again the General is such a smooth shooter, no handshock, generous valley, doesn't even feel like you are pulling the 60lbs.

The 101 was a bit different, 70 pounds is a bit more than what I am used to, but the valley was tolerable, not much handshock, and stupid fast.

Now to get the gist of my question, I want a new hunting bow, and that is all it will be. Hunting for me consists of tree stand hunting, with my longest shot ever taken at a little over 20 yards, but I would like a bow I can one pin out to 30 yards.

My draw length is around 28" and I will be using a string loop, I do want a 60-70lb bow, will see if I cant get up to 70lbs for the beginning of the season, cranking it down to around 65lbs when the weather turns cold.

Which way would should I go? Is the speed of the 101 really needed for hunting? (overlooking the 82nd due to the smaller brace height, leery of that) or do I go with the General and hope that is performs ALOT better than what I am using right now, but have a shorter ata and smoother shooting bow (current bow shoots around 260fps, Hoyt Magnetec)

Biggest thing, I want to do a 1-pin out to 30 yards, +/-1" or so. Thoughts, opinions? Just looking for as much information before I drop the $ on what should be my bow for the next 6-7 years.

(other bows shot, hoyt katera, mathews DXT, S2, PSE xforce6/7, bowtech 82nd, and a couple Elites, but really didn't like them so didn't find out the names, those are the main bows in my area)
Old 02-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 101 compared to General

I am not sure you could do it with the general. I have the 60-70 101 set at 64#s with 367 grain arrows. From 20 to 30 yds., I slide my site ~1/8" which is ~2-3 inches. This is at~312fps. At these settings, I should not have to adjust. If you can get the general to this speed, then you should but I think that you would struggle. Just my 2 cents. Might want to get a slide site and the bow that you really want. I could not be more satisfied with mine.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:08 PM

I just got my 101st and spent Saturday at my local range...my 20 is virtually unchanged at 25. I did not try it at 30 but my guess is that it would be 2-3 inches lower--if that. The pins on my SDP are so stacked on top of each other I am just amazed. It is 28" 71lbs. with 355 gr Maximas. I tried all the pins at 5 yards further and found very little change until I got to the 60 yard pin...I am extremely happy with it.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:24 AM

I currently have an HHA optimizer 5500, so I can adjust the yardage, which is fine in the backyard, but I had numerous occasions last season where that would not have been possible if I had decided to take a shot.

I do like the sight, and would prefer not replacing it.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

I have mine at ~64#s. After about 80 arrows, the arrows start to distance themselves. Are you shootingvery littleat 71#s or did you play in the NFL? With these mods, I can imagine pulling back a 71#s in a tree turned to your bad side. Maybe I just need to lift a few weights.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like Speed, but I also like Smooth. Luckily I can afford to have different bows for different situations. If all you are going to do is Treestand hunt and your shots are a max of 30 yards. Speed is not the main thing I would be looking for. I'd get whatever felt the most comfortable and shot the best for me. My General at 60# 28" Speed Mods shoots my 326 grain CX Maxima at 278 fps.

Dan
Old 02-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good comments above. Something to consider though. I often see the "one pin to the 30 yards" comments. In regard to that...if you take any bow with an actual speed of 265 fps + and you sight your top pin at 24-26 yards then you can basically use one pin out to about 33 yards without really having to compensate by holding high or holding low.

With this thought in mind, and considering most shots are under 30 yards (if not under 20) then I think the General would fit the bill nicely...especially considering the shot feel. Nothing wrong with the 101st Airborne either but I do prefer my shorter bows.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:32 AM

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Good comments above. Something to consider though. I often see the "one pin to the 30 yards" comments. In regard to that...if you take any bow with an actual speed of 265 fps + and you sight your top pin at 24-26 yards then you can basically use one pin out to about 33 yards without really having to compensate by holding high or holding low.

With this thought in mind, and considering most shots are under 30 yards (if not under 20) then I think the General would fit the bill nicely...especially considering the shot feel. Nothing wrong with the 101st Airborne either but I do prefer my shorter bows.
Quick thanks for all the input so far, much appreciated.

My current set up, I can 'one pin' it from about 23 yards down to 5 yards. From 23-30 it starts to be a bit of a guessing game, unless of course I have time to adjust the site before the shot, then it is fine, but that will not always be an option in the field.

My current sight is actually just one pin so that is why I am a bit concerned with this.

As mentioned above I currently have a Hoyt Magnetec, about 38" ATA, shooting at 61#'s with a 28" draw, I believe the arrows are 380grains,shooting right around 260fps.

My wish list is:
1 pin to 30 yards
decent kinetic energy (70+) (28"ish draw, with 350-400grain arrow, can be less, but don't want a 2nd set of arrows around depending on the poundage I am shooting that day.)
shorter ATA than my current bow

I do want a 60-70lb bow this time around, and will probably have it set to around 65#'s by the time the temperature drops and the bucks start running.....

Will the General fit these requirements? I am pretty enamored with this bow right now, but the bigger, sexier numbers, and the raw speed of the 82nd, 101st, and PSE x-force bows I have also shot, well..........I would love to just gettwo new bows, but since I am getting a bow and the wife is getting a new chair, I dont want to have to spring for a new couch also
Old 02-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wiaxle, we can't really tell you what to do but if more speed is what you are after. I think the 82, 101, or the Allegiance would all fill the Bill for you nicely. I am shooting a 60# 28" 82 the last couple of days and it is shooting my 326 grain arrow at 308 fps. If you are going to shoot 65# that will pick you up approx. 10 fps or so. Even with your arrows that should still put you in the ball park of what I am shooting. The brace height on the 82 has caused me No ill effects. I am grouping with it every bit as well as I did my Allegiance. The draw is not bad at all. The back wall is good and solid.
I like Speed, but it isn't the end all for me. I am sure my General and Guardian will get time in the Blind and Stand this year

There is no substitue for spending the day at a Range and shooting them to decide what really feels best to you

Dan
Old 02-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

IMHO I would go with the quetest bow set up, switch to A Pedator IV pendulum sight and find a draw weight that you can be comfortable with in any postion and forget about the speed. Speed doesn't kill, silent KE kills.With A minimum of 265 fps, a Predator IV will give you dead on accuracy shooting from the ground to 30 feet up off the ground, 0 - 35-40 yards out. The only yardage you need to know is your max. range. 30 yards in your case. 300+ fps the pendulum's range may stretch out to 45-50 yards depending on your arrow. Combining the accuracy of the pendulum sight, having a bow you can comfortably draw and hold in tough positions and getting the shot off quietly, consistantly and accurately are much more important qualities than blazing speed. 200 fps silent shot is more deadly than 300 fps shot that sounds like a 22 cal. going off.

Quick Reply: 101 compared to General

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.