HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   FOB vs. VANES (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/229446-fob-vs-vanes.html)

Huntin Junkie 01-28-2008 12:04 AM

FOB vs. VANES

I was looking around on the net and saw this thing called a FOB. It replaces your vanes on your arrow. I was woundering if anybody had seen it, used it, or had any thoughts on it. Thanks

Huntin Junkie 01-28-2008 12:26 AM

RE: FOB vs. VANES

Here are some pics of FOBS on arrows.

gmil6184 01-28-2008 07:33 AM

Those are pretty odd looking, i wonder how well they work. They don't look like they are too flexible so you would have to shoot a drop away rest of some kind i would think...i dunno i think i will stick to feathers

sbooy42 01-28-2008 09:46 AM

I killed 4 deer this year with em..they work great...
I thought I'd never switch from blazers until I tried them..
The biggest diffrence is when you shoot fixed broadheads...
Tighter groups and less effect from cross wind..

gmil6184 01-28-2008 10:01 AM

do you have to shoot a fall away rest with them? i shoot a WB and they seem like they would have a hell of a time passing through it, or maybe they wouldn't...are they fairly flexible or rigid?

Western MA Hunter 01-28-2008 10:41 AM

I would think so to Gmil... I'm guessing dropaway... no full containment rests.

sbooy42 01-28-2008 11:31 AM

Yes..you have to use a dropway rest..I use a Trophy Ridge Dropzone with mine..
Some good full containment rest to use are the QAD and Ripcord...

sbooy42 01-28-2008 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

do you have to shoot a fall away rest with them? i shoot a WB and they seem like they would have a hell of a time passing through it, or maybe they wouldn't...are they fairly flexible or rigid?
They are some what flexible but they will break..

Tuco 01-28-2008 12:28 PM

I switched to the FOBs this year and really like them. Was using Blazers before, don't know if the FOBs fly any better for me, but no more fletching. I use a Ripcord rest,which is a full containment rest.

gzg38b 01-29-2008 08:46 PM

I use them too. I like them. No more fletching arrows and better broadhead flight and less wind drift.

You must have a dropaway rest. They pop off on a passthrough and allows the arrow to continue to penetrate without the friction of the vanes. It's just a smooth lubricated shaft passing through the chest cavity. The FOB will be laying right next to the arrow at the point of impact (assuming treestand shot). I killed two deer this year with the FOB and it worked exactly this way.