Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

buying my first bow

Old 01-31-2003, 05:27 PM

Default buying my first bow

Hey fellers&ladies, I'm 15 years old and looking to get into bow hunting for deer. I didn't spend my christmas money and put it in stocks and it's starting to add up. It's up to about $300. Anyway I was looking at dicks sporting goods for a good bow that would be nice now and that I can still use when I take my kids hunting. I was looking at the Browning Micro Adrenaline for $250. Now i'm a big squrill hunter(which is guns) and I really don't know a lot about bows. Would this be a good choice for a first bow? Anything would be very helpful.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:30 PM

Default RE: buying my first bow

I don't think there are to many bows out that aren't pretty good. For 300 dollars you can find a lot of bows. My first was a Golden eagle Evolution XTR. It was under 200 dollars, and is split limb. I love the bow. But, you need to get a site and a rest. I ended up getting a good deal on mine and got the bow, the site, rest and quiver for 199. The rest isn't to good, but it will be upgraded. Shop around and find something you like. Check out magazines or the internet and see if you can find any information on bows in your price range!
Old 02-01-2003, 09:47 PM

Your first bow you buy should be as good as the last bow you buy. Remember you get what you pay for, so save a little more and get the best bow you can. To me thats a Mathews. Good luck with your bow shopping.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:28 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Your first bow you buy should be as good as the last bow you buy. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I totaly disagree w/ that. Not everybody can start out at the top.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:33 PM

oh yea, i dont think mathews is the top, i think hoyts got it this year.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not every one can afford a $700.00 bare bow then you have to outfit it and buy arrows by the time you are through buying you have $1,200.00 or more that will shoot no better than a $300.00 setup

I have a lot of buddies who shoot Matthews but ask any one of them If they can outshoot me on my worst day with my Reflex Bighorn.

It is 10% bow 90% shooter

you can find Good bow that will do everything an expensive one will do for under 300 dollars
Reflex/Hoyt USA, PSE, Browning, are just a few to choose from
and you can probably find some close outs on last years models for a fraction of the original cost.

Archery addict
>>>----------->
Old 02-03-2003, 07:29 AM

Martinbowhunter, you totally miss took my quote of &quot;your first bow should be as good as the last bow you buy&quot;. I was trying to explain to this new comer to our sport not to buy any bow to buy the bow that he wants, even if it means that he may have to save a little longer.

As for the Mathews thing, I never recommded a Mathews the quote was &quot;for me thats a Mathews&quot;

Hey, as for Hoyt Thats great. I guess when the average Hoyt sell for around $400.00 it in the market of must bowhunters price range.
I'm sure chevy sold more Cavaliers than Corvetts this year, so I sould take it you would say that the cavalier is a better car.
Again, &quot;for me thats a Mathews&quot;

Edited by - lxmathewsman on 02/03/2003 11:30:39

Edited by - lxmathewsman on 02/03/2003 11:37:11

Edited by - lxmathewsman on 02/03/2003 18:13:22
Old 02-04-2003, 07:56 AM

You can find some good bows out there for under $300 but keep in mind the cost of your accesories. You may want to also keep your options open about a used bow with a complete set up. Possibly check ebay. My advise is to check around and find the bow that is right for you, and take the time to think it over. you still have plenty of time to get a bow and get it set up before hunting season comes.

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK