Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Looking for new bow, (Bowtech, Mathews or Hoyt) >

Looking for new bow, (Bowtech, Mathews or Hoyt)

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Looking for new bow, (Bowtech, Mathews or Hoyt)

Old 12-07-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Looking for new bow, (Bowtech, Mathews or Hoyt)

I'm looking at purchasing a new bow in the next month or two. I think I have it narrowed down to Hoty Katera, Mathews DXT, or Bowtech General. What do you guys think? How important is 20fps? I am leaning towards the Hoyt or Bowtech. I currently have a Mathews Q2 and love it but would like somthing newer.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:35 AM

Default RE: Looking for new bow, (Bowtech, Mathews or Hoyt)

The best bowhunter I know shoots a Mathews Q2 and, although he could easily afford a new General, intends to continue to hunt with his slightly "outdated" bow. You really need to get out and test drive these new bows before buying. And make sure it is an "apples to apples" comparison where you are shooting the same draw weight and draw length. If you are like me, you will find that these speedier bows have a less pleasant draw cycle. Many of the new ones are really quiet and extremely "dead" in your hand in terms of shock and vibration, though - and this would be a better excuse for me to buy one than 20 fps more speed.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm buying a Diamond Marquis soon! I really like the diamond line of bows.

Mat
Old 12-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

As soon as you shoot the General, your mind will be made up.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:25 PM

I recently shot the Katera by Hoyt. It was very nice to shoot, better then my V-Tec was. It deserves your time to shoot it and also, try others while you're at the bow shop. There are little nuances that present themselves when shooting several different bows at a range or shop. You gotta' find what fitsYOUR style, your way, etc...
Don't follow the hype of TV ads or " bow hoppers " as I like to refer to them. Every year they're buying the newest bow and swearing it's better then anything that man ever created!
I owned and hunted with one Hoyt for 9 yrs. Its about you and only you.
Take your shooting style, strength, types of hunting i.e., tree stands, stalking, lots of Western hunts with 50 yd shots, etc... and select your bow for those reasons only. Not what's selling today!
Old 12-07-2007, 06:30 PM

P.S.
If your a bit older like myself, and need an easy to draw, smooth shooter, try a Drenalin. I bought it this October for just that reason. So easy to shoot I thought I was shooting a much lighter draw weight! Its perfect for my aging, sports injured shoulders!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:45 PM

Well, I just got back from the shop. I shot the General, the guardian, the allegience the Kateraand thePSE x-force (just because I could).The kid at the shop even gave me some of his hunting arrows and pulled out the chronograph.

General - Without a doubt the smoothest and queitest bow on the market. I did notice a little bit of jump and fall forward after the shot but a stabilizer took care of that. If I was not concerned with speed than this would be a no brainer, unbeleivable. 268fps. not exactly a barn burner. The draw cycle is smooth with a little hump at the end, not bad at all. Feels real steady as well. The weight is noticeable.

Guardian - Not as forgiving or smooth as the general, but definately faster 286fps. The draw cycle is a little rough and there is a pretty good jump after the shot, still not bad and probably smoother than most. It did not impress me as much as the general but it is considerably faster and still shoots nice.

Allegience - Fast and light with a pretty nice draw, not too harsh. It is a little jumpy after the shot and is similar to a high speed single cam. Not a bad bow and probably a great hunter.Being fast and lightthe shock has to go somewhere.

Katera- Nice shooting bow, great draw cycle very smooth and similar to asingle cam. I did notice the tuning fork feel that many of the others have talked about. I put on a stabilizer and it went away. This is a nice bow and was shooting in the low 300fps range. It is a little heavier than some and I'm not sure about the low brace height. I would recommend shooting one to anybody, it is agreat shooter and its pretty fast.

_Pse X-force - Wow, fast is all you can say. I have never shot anything like this before. It's a little on the harsh side but if speed is your thing than you can't beat it.

The local bow shop Bwana Archery in St. Paul, MN spent a good amount of time and was happy to let me shoot anything I was interested in. I came out of this with a better understanding of what the market currently has to offer. I am still going back and fourth on the speed question. If speed was not part of the equation than it would be the general hands down. I don't know what to think of the low brace height on the hoyt, that kind of leaves me with the guardian. I am going to shoot a Drenalin, Dxt, S etc. tomorrow and will let you guys know what I settle with. The new bows are nice but they still don't make my Q2 feel like old junk by any means.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

I was told if you shoot the General that you will buy it. I was at the bow shop and was not looking for a bow. I shot the new General and bought it. It is the smoothest and quietest bow that I have ever shot...Just my 2cents worth....make sure you shoot them all before you buy one
Old 12-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

The best bowhunter I know shoots a Mathews Q2 and, although he could easily afford a new General, intends to continue to hunt with his slightly "outdated" bow. You really need to get out and test drive these new bows before buying. And make sure it is an "apples to apples" comparison where you are shooting the same draw weight and draw length. If you are like me, you will find that these speedier bows have a less pleasant draw cycle. Many of the new ones are really quiet and extremely "dead" in your hand in terms of shock and vibration, though - and this would be a better excuse for me to buy one than 20 fps more speed.
I would have to agree with this statement, I pulled back on the new airborne by bowtech which was set at 71# and thought it was really a hard pull, I am sure that bow smokes arrows but that draw really had me liking my Hoyt Vetrix which I did chronograph last night. I shot a 29 1/8 inch 387 grain arrow 270 FPS with a 65# pulland 28 inch draw cycle,

These faster bows are really nice but I will weight until they have one that has an easier draw cycle before I think about buying one. Bottom line is you need to shoot what is comfortable for you, I can shoot my Vetrix for 4 hours straight.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: torridone

Well, I just got back from the shop. I shot the General, the guardian, the allegience the Kateraand thePSE x-force (just because I could).The kid at the shop even gave me some of his hunting arrows and pulled out the chronograph.

General - Without a doubt the smoothest and queitest bow on the market. I did notice a little bit of jump and fall forward after the shot but a stabilizer took care of that. If I was not concerned with speed than this would be a no brainer, unbeleivable. 268fps. not exactly a barn burner. The draw cycle is smooth with a little hump at the end, not bad at all. Feels real steady as well. The weight is noticeable.

Guardian - Not as forgiving or smooth as the general, but definately faster 286fps. The draw cycle is a little rough and there is a pretty good jump after the shot, still not bad and probably smoother than most. It did not impress me as much as the general but it is considerably faster and still shoots nice.

Allegience - Fast and light with a pretty nice draw, not too harsh. It is a little jumpy after the shot and is similar to a high speed single cam. Not a bad bow and probably a great hunter.Being fast and lightthe shock has to go somewhere.

Katera- Nice shooting bow, great draw cycle very smooth and similar to asingle cam. I did notice the tuning fork feel that many of the others have talked about. I put on a stabilizer and it went away. This is a nice bow and was shooting in the low 300fps range. It is a little heavier than some and I'm not sure about the low brace height. I would recommend shooting one to anybody, it is agreat shooter and its pretty fast.

_Pse X-force - Wow, fast is all you can say. I have never shot anything like this before. It's a little on the harsh side but if speed is your thing than you can't beat it.

The local bow shop Bwana Archery in St. Paul, MN spent a good amount of time and was happy to let me shoot anything I was interested in. I came out of this with a better understanding of what the market currently has to offer. I am still going back and fourth on the speed question. If speed was not part of the equation than it would be the general hands down. I don't know what to think of the low brace height on the hoyt, that kind of leaves me with the guardian. I am going to shoot a Drenalin, Dxt, S etc. tomorrow and will let you guys know what I settle with. The new bows are nice but they still don't make my Q2 feel like old junk by any means.

Just remember speed is not everything, 1 accuracy, 2 quietness, 3 draw & comfort, 4 speed. This is what I did when deciding on my first bow. Don’t get me wrong I wanted the fastest bow on the market at first but when I started shooting different models that speed thing quickly become less of a concern for me. JMHO.

If I could add a few other models for you to shoot I would try the Diamond Black Ice (Bowtech owns Diamond) Cardiac by Ross (hear it pulls easier then my Vetrix at 70 lbs) and don’t forget Reflex bows which are owned by Hoyt.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Looking for new bow, (Bowtech, Mathews or Hoyt)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.