HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   which broadheads?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/220568-broadheads.html)

slangdang 12-02-2007 11:59 AM

which broadheads??

I'm new here at huntig net,but have been hunting for a couple of years now with very little sucess. This october I shot two doe @ 30yds w/muzzy 3 blade 125gr bh and found enough blood to fill up a coke bottle cap between the 2 deer. I'm guessing they were not in the boiler room but they looked well placed. Should I consider different bh's? What's the thoughts on the new crimson talon xt's, and the grim reaper razorcuts?

Francis_Qc 12-02-2007 12:42 PM

RE: which broadheads??

Crimson talon xt are really good... you can trust me:DBut the Muzzy MX-3 are good bh too!

Francis

Roskoe 12-02-2007 01:45 PM

Although there is a lot of talk on these boards on the latest and greatest broadheads, the Muzzy you describe is a proven solid performer. If the animal was not recovered, it was almost certainly some issue with shot placement. Kinda tough to review, at this point, without having it on video.

Schultzy 12-02-2007 02:11 PM

Shot placement is everything! Figure out thatpart and you will have no problems. As for BH's, what your shooting is perfectly fine. I myself am a big pusheron Cut On Contact heads,there's nothing better in my opinion if the person setting upthere equiptment know's what there doing with these particular heads!

Taylorman 12-02-2007 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Shot placement is everything! Figure out thatpart and you will have no problems. As for BH's, what your shooting is perfectly fine. I myself am a big pusheron Cut On Contact heads,there's nothing better in my opinion if the person setting upthere equiptment know's what there doing with these particular heads!
What would you consider the top choices in cut on contact heads out right now?

ihunt1975 12-02-2007 08:48 PM

I love big mechanicals. Big holes means big blood loss and tissue damage. Never hit a deer center mass(between shoulder and back leg)and not recover it with very little effort. Key is stay off shoulder blade.

I have heard the cut on impact and muzzy hype for years about superior penetration. First, if you need the penetration to pass through a shoulder blade you have done something very wrong. There is lots of room behind the shoulder to aim at. Second,an average chest cavity on a whitetail is somewhere around 13"-18". Any energy left over after the shot is not necessary. My 70# switchback has produced 1 1/4"- 2" exit wounds on whitetails out to 51 yards(NAP Shockwave 1 1/4"). More damage was delivered to the animal's vitals than a standard 1"-1 3/16" conventional head. That extra damage might mean the difference in a lost or recovered animal.

And I won't get into the accuracy comparison. There is none.

jkb0909 12-02-2007 11:48 PM

If you're looking to try something new, I suggest the Rage 2 blades if you can get a hold of them. I smoked a doe with em couple weeks ago, and all I can say is it didn't go far(maybe 30 yds). I don't see myself shooting anything else. They're mechanicals, and I haven't heard anything negative on them, besides the recall they had earlier in the year, but that's all fixed now.

Doegirl75 12-02-2007 11:53 PM

ORIGINAL: slangdang

I'm new here at huntig net,but have been hunting for a couple of years now with very little sucess. This october I shot two doe @ 30yds w/muzzy 3 blade 125gr bh and found enough blood to fill up a coke bottle cap between the 2 deer. I'm guessing they were not in the boiler room but they looked well placed. Should I consider different bh's? What's the thoughts on the new crimson talon xt's, and the grim reaper razorcuts?
You're shooting 70lbs. Yes, go with the mechanicals and make your tracking jobs shorter.:D My suggestion: NAP Spitfires. I used them while crossbow hunting. Accurate, sharp, tough, and puts alot of blood on the ground.

Schultzy 12-03-2007 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Taylorman

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

What would you consider the top choices in cut on contact heads out right now?
I myself love the 3blade magnus snuffer 125 grain and 150 grain BH. Reason's are- 1. Its a strong and durable3 blade head. 2.The cutting diameter on the 125 grainis 1 1/4, the cutting diameter on the 150 grain is 1 5/16.3. The point on the 3 blade snuffer is amazing, when sharpened right it don't take hardly anything for it to start its penentration,most 3 blade Cut On Contacts are that way when sharpened right. After i've sharpened my 3 blade snuffer, i'll put the head on my hunting arrow and spin it on my finger nailto make sure it spins good, it will burry a hole in my finger nail just from the weight of the arrow while spinning it, a sharpened 3 blade is probably the only BH that can do that.4. You can buy a pack of 6 screw in 3 blade magnussnuffer broadheads for around30.00 dollars, very decent priced head.5. Its not mechanical, you don't have to worry about it notopening.

SevenMag 12-03-2007 08:09 AM

ORIGINAL: jkb0909

If you're looking to try something new, I suggest the Rage 2 blades if you can get a hold of them.
both local gander and bass pro had them in stock on Saturday (3 blade version also in stock at both)...

personally, i haven't tried mechanicals yet, though debating it... the rage's have a pretty good reputation when you can get ahold of 'em... if you want fixed blade its hard to go wrong with a few: slick tricks, crimson talon xt, montec, etc... all 3 have mostly favorable reviews...