Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

General owners?

Old 11-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default General owners?

Allright the new Generals have been in the field for a while now so some of you must have them and formed real life shooting and hunting opinions of them. Seriously considering one and would love to hear the early reviews?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:01 AM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: General owners?

Terry I think the only guys who have them so far are the Bowtech staff members. I've only seen one 70 lb General at the shop so far.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 AM
bigcountry

I shot one while in Ky for Thanksgiving. And truthfully, I would rather have the guardian. I loved the feature of not having to press my bow. It seems my commander with a meanV was quieter. Not sure I like the STS on the general. I know I don't like the cam stop on the generals compared to the guardian.

Guardian seems to perform better than the general. Smooth draw really doesn't bother me much, so people that thinks thats important might like the general better.

don't get me wrong, it was a fine bow, and I would be happy huntin with the general. Just like the other bowtechs better.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Terry, It really would be a hard choice for me. I shot the 05, 06, & 07 Allegiance. I think they are the best hunting bows I had ever packed in the woods, but the Guardian finally took starting position away from the Ally this fall. Choosing between the Guardian and General probably depends a lot on what you want or prefer.
Speed- edge to Guardian (I doubt it makes much difference at most tree stand ranges:
Noise and shock- the edge slightly to the General
Shootability- I honestly can't give you a true evaluation there but I think either bow will shoot great groups
Axle to Axle- The General is a shorter A to A if you want a shorter bow
Mass weight- The General is slightly heavier. Approx. .5# is listed.
There really is no wrong choice. Maybe one might be better for each individual though

Dan
Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

After having owned both bows my comments tend to mirror Dan's in just about each area. For me it is a tough choice between the Black Ice and the General for hunting on any given day. I find each very appealing for their own unique benefits.

Something to keep in mind though Terry...those speed numbers I posted for the General in my comparison thread were with the smooth mods. Expect another 8-9 fps with the speed mods..which would put it about equal with the Black Ice but with less noise and vibration.

I will be honest with you...I actually preferred the Commander to the Guardian for overall shooting pleasure. Now I prefer the General to the Commander, at least for the type of hunting I do. It really is an unforgettable bow once you start shooting it.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, this should confuse you. I've owned both for a while and take deer with both. I like both bows. The General being a shorter bow is a great hunting bow, but quite honestly I think the Guardian is a better bow all around. I did place a STS silencer on my Guardian and didn't on my General, but the Guardian is so quiet, fast and accurate. Both bows are awesome and I doubt if you would be disappointed with either; however if you want opinions, I prefer the Guardian. The STS palced on it makes it sound like a muffled kid's bb gun. Gotta love it.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

I just got my new General and love it.....The General is the smoothest bow that I have ever shot