Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

arrow selection

Old 11-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Spike

Default arrow selection

Hello, newbie here. Just about finished building my first bow. I'm going to be using a truth bow 60lbs at 29".

What would be a great arrow to start with? I don't have many shops around exept for a dicks. So I do most of my shpping online.

My brother has an older bow he shoots easton aluminum arrows with and I can keep pretty good groups at 30yrds.

But I'm thinking maybe I should go with carbons? I have read all the online crap but there is never a cut and clear which is better, they just list pro's / cons of each.

Anyone still use alum arrows?

any info in the right direction would be great!

specific arrow names will help also.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: arrow selection

I use easton Lightspeed arrows. All carbon. I like alot!

Mat
Old 11-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

At your length and weight you would need something with a .400 spine. Whether you choose aluminum or carbon doesn't matter. You need something around .400.

Most companies have arrow selection charts to show you where to start. From there you choose an arrow and tune your bow to shoot it.

Different companies have different numbers on their arrows so don't assume, for instance, that a Carbon Express 400 is the same as an Easton 400. Easton and Beman are the only ones that number their arrows according to spine deflection. Even the aluminum arrows show a spine deflection number for each arrow, following the mass weight column. Some companies put the actual recommended bow weight on the arrow, such as, Gold Tip XT 5575 (a 400 spine) or 7595 (340 spine).

You will also see arrows like the Carbon Express Maxima 250 and 350. Again, just a different way of numbering them. It gets quite confusing. Just be sure and check a manufacturers spine charts for the proper arrow.

Carbon arrows have several advantages over aluminum, but one is that they can be tuned over a more diverse peak weight range than aluminum, usually 15-20 lbs, whereas aluminum will only work within about a 5-10 lb range. You have to choose more carefully with aluminum. That being said, they are still good arrows.

You can always use a website like www.bowjackson.com and use their interactive arrow selection chart. Plug in the necessary data and it'll recommend sveral different makes and sizes of arrows. I believe www.huntersfriend.com has one, too.

Now if you're more confused come back for more.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Spike

Thanks a bunch! That was a ton of great info!

Just curious, how did you come up with .400? For future use.

EDIT:

Just found a chart on the cabelas site. thanks again
Old 11-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just pulled it out of my head from 35 years of experience. No computer program needed.