Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Buying my first bow.  Ideas? >

Buying my first bow. Ideas?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Buying my first bow. Ideas?

Old 11-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Buying my first bow. Ideas?

Thanks again for the steps provided. Yeah I do at this time lack a little confidence in adjusting the bow (since I am very new to bow hunting and working with the equipment) but I am leaning things here and there. Sighting in is okay but making other changes I am leery but will learn eventually.

I did get my adjustment made last night at a bow shop near me (great service) the guy had the same concern with my current arrows (under spined) and said that 65 lb would be way better. He made the adjustment as I watched and noticed that it was not that difficult. He let me shoot in the range and even gave me a few pointers to maintain consistent form. They really helped!

After the adjustment the bow was much more enjoyable to shoot, I can hold on target longer (while drawn) and obviously takes significantly less effort to pull it back. Amazing what only 5.5 lb reduction will do for your form. I may even reduce it to 63-60ish and see what that does.

This is not the same shop that I wet to before (the one that didn’t let me try a bow before I purchased) Glad I found someone close that is a wealth of information.

Now to find a deer stand, I was spotted last night by a doe and that was that. Deer blinds are okay but I think being up higher would better line of site and more possible shots.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:42 AM

i just bought my first bow and i tried several like the Martin's and Diamond's, but i ended up going with PSE, the mossy oak xis super quiet really smooth i'd give some PSE's a try too.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

I have been hearing good things about PSE but unfortunately I did not get the chance to play with one. I plan to in the future. Thanks
Old 12-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Anything but Hoyt, Dartonor High Country although I'd choose High Country over Hoyt or Darton. I find that guys are have allegiances tobow brands and when the brand goesbad, they stick with the brand regardless of the quality of manufacture/performance. That happened with PSE, they were good, went bad for about8 years and just recently are good again. The fact is, Hoyt used to beOK until they switched to the cam and a half.The Hoyts are quiet, no recoil, slow to average by most standards but test shoot one. When you get it at full draw, pull back a little harder andsee just how sloppy the valley is. Depending on where you anchor in the valley also affects your arrow flight so if you're target shootingand get sighted in, then go out in the field and see a monster buck, your tendency will be topull a little harder,now you'rein a whole new valley area andwho knows where you'll hit? Do somepaper tuning tests at differentanchor pointsin the hugevalley, scary eh?Myself and two of my hunting friends allbought Hoyts two years ago, we all got rid of them since for the exact same reasons. Another thing Ipersonally don't like are bows with split limbs as the concept is flawed. You've got to find 4 limbs in perfect balance in order to pull this off. They can be balanced in the beginning, one of the four limbs looses a half of a pound of pull, now your cam(s) is/are kiltering during the shot. Conventional limbs are farless likely to get thrown off asbalance difference on two points as opposed to four corner points is much easier to manage and far more unlikely to affect the bows performance. Also, side to side unbalance on the same camas can happen with split limbsaffects the shot far more than up and down unbalance as can happen with conventional limbs. The other fact is that split limbs are slower. Guys will argue this but you're going to giveup about 5-8 fps with the split limb concept. Granted that's not much speedbut why giveupkinetic energyif you don't have to? When Hoyt used to make solid limbs, their exact same eccentrics on split limb modelswas slower than their solid limb counter parts. JMHO.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

I read and thought about what you said and I can see where the bi-limb design could lead to problems. I also agree that some people do become stuck on one brand or another but really tried to block all that out and buy what felt best in my hand. I ended up with the Hoyt Vetrix and have been shooting pretty well with it so far. I also notice the valley you mentioned, so to correct this would you just shoot off the hard valley floor (pulled all the way back)?

I am happy with what I found in Hoyt thus far but I will take notice of any of the above mentioned concerns you had. I know a good bow guy so if I have a problem I am sure he can fix me right up.

I wasn’t buying for speed, I was going for something quite and modern. I like fast bows and had my eyeon the guardian but the Hoyt just felt better.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Clement! Modern bows are pretty darn good in general. Even the modern Hoytbows blowawayall other bows from just a decade ago. I will say that although Inot a raving fan ofthe cam and a half orsplit limbs, no other bow company makes a nicer looking bow made from top quality materials as Hoyt does, it really is put together well too and it has a comfortable draw cycle. Of the big three, Hoyt and Mathews focus on a medium blend of performance which feels easy to draw, is quiet and effortless to shoot. Most Bowtechs are more speed oriented and the same poundage bow is going to feel harder to pull and more aggressive to shoot than a Hoyt.I don't think you should pull to the end of the draw cycle as you'llbe pulling your guts out which will take away from the shooting enjoyment--let itsettle into a comfortable spot in thevalley and make sure your anchor point is the same every time andbe very conscious of it at all times. If you do that, you'll do just fine. Good shooting!
Old 12-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget to look a the diamonds!! I'm buying myself a new Diamond Marquis!! I'm currently shooting a Diamond and I am very satisfied!

Mat
Old 12-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tip, I have been shooting from where it feels comfortable so far(just a bit off the valley floor, and a nice easy trigger squeeze) I was kind of thinking that modern bows were all pretty much equal. I did notice that the Bowtech line of center pivot models did feel much more different when drawing them. Diamond are nice to, if I would have not went with the Vetrix the Black Ice was very tempting. But the draw of the Vetrix and the lesser recoil (IMO) just felt right.

I guess in a few years when I go bow shopping again I will know a little more of what to look for. It is great to be out in the deer stand before guns season starts, already have things set up for when gun season closes. Found some great spots.

You know I went and shot the Vertrix last Sun from 2pm-6pm (65#) without really taking a long break. Yeah I eventually got fatigued but I doubt I could have shot that long with a more aggressive bow. I was sore for about 2 days but feel fine nowand was planning on shooting tonight but the weather was too bad to drive 25 miles down the interstate. Oh wellmaybe tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:39 AM

I would highly reccomend Bowtech/Daimond or the Hoyt/Reflex, I shoot a Bowtech Tribute and it is truly unbelievable, but i am now upgrading to the general, and i will keep you posted on how that is. P.S- If you want a fast bow- check out the Bowtech Airbornes (82nd and 101st) and the PSE X-Force.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Oh yeah I plan to check all of these out the first chance I get, Airborne sounds pretty fast, I am assuming it will be using the center pivot technology?

I have a feeling that this new CPT is the future, I watched a guy that has been out of bow hunting for over 10 years pick up a guardian and shoot better then after I had been practicing for quite some time. I know that is not all bow he had to have pretty good form but he doesn’t target shoot and he told me that he hasn’t picked up a bow in 10 years.

He offered to let me shoot it but I shoot left handed due to eye dominancy. He obviously had a righty.

Quick Reply: Buying my first bow. Ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.