Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Tree stand steps

Old 11-18-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Tree stand steps

Can anyone suggest any good steps for a hanging stand? Does anyone have some that they might want to get rid of?
Old 11-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tree stand steps

I could write VOLUMES about how great Cranford's tree steps are... instead, run a search with my user name and the word "Cranford"...

Simply put, it's the only name you need to remember in screw-in steps.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are on public land and can't use the screw in steps i think Lone Wolf steps are the way to go. Quiet, light and very packable.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cranford's is the best step in the business. I use the detachable steps. They are hard to beat for a quick, quiet, and effortless way up to your TreeStand

Dan
Old 11-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Cranford Ezy Climb steps all the way. I prefer the rod steps but all of their models are tops.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I could write VOLUMES about how great Cranford's tree steps are... instead, run a search with my user name and the word "Cranford"...

Simply put, it's the only name you need to remember in screw-in steps.
Ditto on the Cranford EZY brand, they work great but are the most expensive steps on the market!!!

I've since been using ones made by Game Tracker, which are made in the USA, and are the Rod type of treesteps, which I prefer to folding steps.
But I read somewhere that GameTracker sold out to Gorilla I believe???
The biggest thing to remember is to get steps that have a "long tappered screw"!!! They are the ones that go into tree's the easiest!! Many steps have a screw the size of your little finger and are very Blunt, making installation a "fit of the fittest" at best, and the Ameristep brand are the worst offenders!! To get up to a distance of approx. 18-20 feet, your going to need at least 15-18 steps. Remember not to install them too far apart, as it makes climbing up the tree a real leg stretcher for sure!!
Also remember to climb up past your stand so you can step over onto it, hence the need to carry enough steps for safety!! The absolute item to be using when srewing or hanging astand is a climbing belt!!This is with out a doubt to best way to get the job done, safely!!

Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 AM

Thanks so much for the great tip. It is a great reminder to always be safe when using a tree stand while out in the woods.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Spike

lone wolf hang on is nice, a good mod for one of them is switch the back pack straps with gun slings.....
Old 11-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Those crawfords (never used) look an aweful lot like the silver tip tree step by ameristep (have used and would recommend).
Old 11-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the Rapid Rails by Ameristep. Just feel better to me than the screw ins. I am a little bulkier than the average bear, so I prefer a little more metal!