Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Coveralls vs jacket

Old 11-05-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Coveralls vs jacket

I have been hunting in Kansas using coveralls in cool to cold weather for a number of years now. The coveralls have always been restrictive to drawing my bow so I was thinkinking of switching to a well insulated jacket. What are some options and factors I should consider and do others prefer a jacket while bowhunting?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Coveralls vs jacket

i havent worn coveralls in years...i found the same thing...restricted movement..even when rifle hunting..

i went to bibs and a coat...or bibs and a jacket depending on how cold it is...if its warm, i wear pants and a shirt and take the jacket with me if it might get chilly...

gotta watch with bigger coats and loose jackets etc...the sleeves can get in the way of the bowstring..though they make some coats and jackets for bowhunters that have a tighter sleeve..if not, i throw on an arm gaurd...not because i hit myself...but because i dont want the string catching my sleeve...the arm gaurd will compress the sleeve and string wont catch on it...works for me
Old 11-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

I bowhunt cold weather wearing the cabelas super slam elite fleece parka and bibs. The sleeves the parka are slimmed down, and I find that I can shoot my bow comfortably while wearing it. IT also has a short collar, so it doens't get in the way. Of course our winters in pa aren't as bad as yours, but I've worn it down to 5 degree days in january bowhunting and was rather comfy in the tree with good layering.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:55 AM

I love my insulated jacket and bibs they are Carkfields and about 10 years old now, but in great shape. Advatage on one side and skyline on the other side. I like the skyline late in the year when the top of the trees are bare or snow.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Dominant Buck

If your coveralls restrict your shooting you're buying the wrong size, I buy a size larger in "tall" for the extra room, works like a charm. This also allows for more layers underneath if the weather gets especially cold. I have a coat/bibs set, but whenever that cold wind whistles up the bottom of the coat I wish I had bought coveralls instead, so I wear those around the house for chores.