Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Best bow and gear for a beginner? >

Best bow and gear for a beginner?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Best bow and gear for a beginner?

Old 10-29-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Best bow and gear for a beginner?

Just wondering, because I might start bowhunting here soon, what is the best bow for a beginner? And at that, the best arrow(carbon,aluminum?),broadhead,and a reasonable pound draw for it? Thanks for any replies.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:59 PM

Default RE: Best bow and gear for a beginner?

I have a Hoyt Lazertec. I'd suggest you go to a pro shop, though. They're the experts, and from what I've learned different people have different bow needs. I went in looking for one thing after reading online and getting suggestions. Come to find out, it didn't work for me. He showed me a ton of bows at various prices, and set up the one that suited me.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:12 AM

set your budget and add about 150 bucks... then start looking at gear... scour the used market, lots of GREAT used bows out there for significant savings over new... lotsa people piss and moan about wanting new with warranty and etc... imho, the durability of bows is outstanding and even without a warranty you're gonna have many great years of shooting without a problem as long as you take care of your equip... you can find 1-2yr old bows from Bear, Bowtech, Diamond, Hoyt, Mathews, Ross, Martin and many more and have a nice fully kitted rig and be into it for under 500 bucks if you shop smart (ie. most people don't need a top-o-the-line $200 sight or a 150 dollar rest)... also, remember this... when asking for advice around here (or any other archery site), you are talking to enthusiasts... they frequently know an awful lot about whats goin on with equipment... but that advice needs to be sorted thru carefully as enthusiasts tend to get jaded by wanting to have the best... i've been guilty of that myself... that's why it is so important to know what you can spend comfortably...

that being said, go shoot the bows that fit your budget and a few others above your budget that pique your interest (in case you find the one you want you may be able to get it used for a good price)... good luck, lotsa fun tryin them out and you should enjoy it... it should never stress you out, you'll know when you've found the one you want...
Old 10-30-2007, 07:05 PM

I'm in the same boat. I've been going to my local pro shop/range and learning and shooting. What is a reasonable price to spend for a good (not necessarily cutting edge expert) compound bow fitted out for hunting and target shooting. I want to get something that isn't junk and will last and be able to shoot for many seasons.

Also (not to open a can of worms) are there any brands to avoid?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2007, 06:15 AM

even some of the "beginner" bows now days are actually quite good... the new bear lights out is a nice rig for a very reasonable price... probably as good or better than most top-o-the-line bows from 5-6 yrs ago... http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/b...nd/lights-out/

it would be very high on my list for a low priced rig... can't ignore the martin bengal, reflex growler and ridgeline, diamond justice either... there's not really a BAD bow out there... go shoot 'em and buy the one ya like, just plan on spending more than you think... its that addictive.. hehe
Old 10-31-2007, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.missionarchery.com/index.asp?CompID=44&PageID=bows

I just got started myself in the last 3 months. For less than $500 I was fully outfitted with a Matthews bow. This bow is so fast and quiet. I have already killed a turkey and I hope to get my first bow buck this weekend.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm 6' 6" so the only wrinkle is also finding a model that has a 31" draw which seems like what I need. I was hoping to be fully kitted out for $500-600 so it sounds like I should be able to do that.

Does anyone have experience with the Parker Wildfire XP ?
Old 11-02-2007, 03:46 PM

Well, I bought an 07 Browning Vapor. Got a great deal and it fits me really well. I bought at my local pro shop/range.

It feels great to shoot. Woo hoo, another sport to spend money on!