Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Lighted sights

Old 10-26-2007, 09:19 AM

Default Lighted sights

How many of you have and use them? I've heard of them but thought were just gimmicks. 'Till my brother got one put on his bow the other day. He showed it to me Tuesday night about 2 hours after I shot my doe. Man, that thing woulda been nice a little earlier. [&:]
Old 10-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lighted sights

I've used various versions of lighted sights over the years. What I did find out is that although they seem pretty neifty, the problem comes when you think you need the light the most (at dusk) you draw up and look through a peep and you see this nice bright pin in front of you. The problem arises when you can't see anything beyond that pin to aim at.

About the only time that nice bright lighted pins are handy is when it's also bright outside. When you aim a bow your pin is not supposed to be dominant object of your focus. It should be whatever you intend to shoot. The pin should be just barely visible and most wrapped fiber optic sights are just that, plus self dimming as the light fades.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:35 AM

I have had a light on my sight for the lastfive/six years, and I have yet to use it. I suspose there may be a day I need it, but so far I haven'tbeen able to notshoot because I haven't had a lighted sight.[8D]They are bright though, and look pretty cool.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

I've used various versions of lighted sights over the years. What I did find out is that although they seem pretty neifty, the problem comes when you think you need the light the most (at dusk) you draw up and look through a peep and you see this nice bright pin in front of you. The problem arises when you can't see anything beyond that pin to aim at.

About the only time that nice bright lighted pins are handy is when it's also bright outside. When you aim a bow your pin is not supposed to be dominant object of your focus. It should be whatever you intend to shoot. The pin should be just barely visible and most wrapped fiber optic sights are just that, plus self dimming as the light fades.
Thats why I got rid of my light and bought a Tritium pin......best accessory on my bow
Old 10-26-2007, 02:25 PM

They aren't legal in Colorado. There have been times, from inside the ground blind, when a lighted sight would have been a real advantage.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:08 AM

I just switched from a Fuse with a light. I turned it on at dusk and all I could see was the bright pin. If you've got a target that's lit up too it might be helpful (spotlighting) but I took mine off, didn't help a bit.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are a very nice option. Remembr though, for any big game, P&Y does NOT allow entry into their Records IF a lighted sight was used or even attached to your bow rig.... this may be a consideration for many to NOT use one. I have NO need for one with the incredibly bright pins on my Spot-Hogg but consider a light a MUST HAVE in a blackened Double Bull blind. Good luck and good shootin'
Old 11-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Spike

Thats interesting about the P&Y. Does that also include fiber sights with glow in the dark lining? Since the sight are being illuminated by something on the bow technically? I shoot a VBG StarTrack and I love the brightness of it without any additional illumination. Infact its good enough to shoot when its pretty dark out, I've tried that once and couldnt find my arrow or a blood trail.... decided that wasnt a good idea any more. So basically unless your shooting something under spotlight (hopefully legally) then a sight like what I use is more than sufficient to see long after you should be shooting anyhow. I could see though in a blind that might be a bit different.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:46 AM

ORIGINAL: ol eagle eyes

Does that also include fiber sights with glow in the dark lining?
i hope not...
Old 11-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a light on my Hogg-it but it is mainly used to light the pins up when shooting indoors and for shooting hogs at night.

Quick Reply: Lighted sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.