Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

G5 Montec Wound

Old 10-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default G5 Montec Wound

My father shot a doe with this broad head and it went right through the heart which caused it to stop pumping which explains the lack of blood. but my question is if it were to have been hit in the lungs how long do you figure it would have been before we found blood. the only thing i don't like is that the entrance and exit are the same size. and any other broadhead i shot, the exit was a little bigger, but oh well. they look tough and i am going to use them, i just want to know what problems that everyone else has had with them. the next heads i am going to get are the rage 2 blade expandible but for now i am going to use these montecs. but i guess my main question is what are the main and biggest problems everyone has had with the montecs.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:33 PM

Default RE: G5 Montec Wound

I have picked up seven three-packs (21) of the G5 Montec in the past 18 months. Although some of them were sharper than others, none of them were suitable for hunting without a little honing. I also have some NAP Hellrazors, and they are a little sharper out of the package than the G5 - but still lacking in that edge needed to really do some cutting. There is quite a bit of information on this board about various methods to get these great little heads sharp . . . . DMT diamond stones really help. But cutting a blood vessel instead of pushing it to the side is the issue here. And the sharper the better.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The montecs should leave very good blood trails as long as they are sharp and shot placement is good. The one and only thing I dont like about the montecs is they dont come as sharp as I like a broadhead to be. I dont care what anyone says about broadhead sharpness, a broadhead should at least be able to shave the hair off your arm with little effort in order to do the best job. Like Roskoe pointed out, sharpness is the key.I know the hellrazors come out of the package sharper than the montecs but they arent near as strong or as durable. My buddies wife shot a doe last week with one and hit the offside leg bone and cracked on of the blades on the hellrazor. She only pulls about 53lbs I can only imagine what would have happened if it were out of a 70lbs bow.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:30 PM

The biggest problem is that you have to work to get the Montecs sharp. Like said above they arent very sharp out of the package, but if you use a sharpening stone you can get them to shave hair. It might take a little more effort, but they are worth it.

Here is what a Montec is capable of....

Old 10-10-2007, 07:02 AM

Shot them the first year they came out.They were not very sharp out of the package and they seemed to whistle a bit going through the air. I switched to slick tricks and love them.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

my buddy killed a buck opening day with montecs. shot was HARD quartering away. he was 15ft high and the buck was MAYBE 10yds away..think it was closer..he put it in high about mid body..just a few ribs forward of the end of the rib cage. busted a couple ribs going in due to the angle...arrow blew out INFRONT of the far shoulder through the brisket. buck made it 20yds. blood trail was evident the whole way. hes only shooting maybe 55lbs of KE at 260fps. that seemed like AWESOME penetration...a couple ribs AND the brisket...plus all the pentration inbetween. probably the whole arrow was in the deer at one point..if not it was only inches of it that wasnt..but it zipped right through and stuck right into the ground. id say that was a shot id pass on due to angle and STEEP quartering away...but he made it...

head looked good as new...he never sharpened it or anything prior to the hunt...he likes little broadheads to cover up his tuning errors. i watched him sight in his bow to shoot the montecs the NIGHT before the season lol..they grouped well..just had to lower the sights a bit. i wasnt about to broadhead tune his bow the night before the hunt lol...but they did the job...
Old 10-10-2007, 10:34 AM

Like anything else it's a give and take process. My hunting partner shoots the Montec and swears by them. Last season he put an arrow over the back of a deer and it buried deep into a soft maple sapling about 6" in dia. He had to take an axe and chop it out of the tree. It was in perfect condition, ready to go back into the quiver, after being re-sharpened. There is always a trade off between tuff and sharp. A hard metal takes more effort to get sharp, but then retains the sharpness better as well. I personally shoot the slick tricks and love em' so I"m not looking to change, but if I were, I would take a good look at the Montec.Based onhow they performed for my buddy. Could be your Dad hadthose heads in his quiver for some length of time andthey got "quiver dull".
Old 10-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. He only had the heads in his quiver for a short perios of time. I found out that the reason the doe didn't bleed was because his arrow went straight through the heart, causing it to stop pumping almost immediatly. i will post about the next deer we shoot, hopefully we will have a blood trail a blind man could follow. so thanks again and you will be hearing from in the near future i hope.