HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Rocket Broadheads... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/210483-rocket-broadheads.html)

ihunt1975 10-05-2007 01:57 PM

Rocket Broadheads...

Okay, every time I start a post its a complaint. I apologize in advance. Let me start off by saying up until last year I thought rocket broadheads were the only one worth using. I put up with the bend but don't break concept with their blades. I have been experimenting with their larger cut mechanicals. Their blades have broken off at the ferrule on 3 deer in a row. I called their phone number and their people said we have experienced this problem. Why is even on the shelf then? Anybody else have similiar problems or is it my bad luck?

stalkingbear 10-07-2007 06:26 PM

RE: Rocket Broadheads...

Must be your bad luck. I've gotten a BUNCH of deer and have yet to have a hammerhead 3L to fail. All hits I've gotten on ky deer left MASSIVE holes and ALL the deer have dropped within sight.

Jeff K in IL 10-07-2007 08:39 PM

Not sure about their Large Cut Mechanicals, but I know the Steelheads are some of the toughest I have yet to shoot!;)

Greg / MO 10-07-2007 09:41 PM

28 deer with Rocket mechs and never a problem.

bbahunter 10-07-2007 10:38 PM

I tried steelheads this year on a friends reccomendation.
Well, out of the 6 heads, 3 of them fell apart in my block.
So much for having confidence in them for hunting!
Well from what i gather, trophyridge recently purchased them ,then escalade purchased both of those companys.
I called trophy ridge which is based in florida now, part of Bear archery(escalade) and voiced my concerns with customer service.
I told them, that imho,they had a quality issue.
The csr said he would look into it, i told him they need to do it soon, so they wouldn't be falling apart in deer!
Needless to say, i will be using slicktricks again this year, and rocky mtn titainiums out of my other bow.
My friend always had good luck with the rockets, when the company was the original company.
I shot a couple deer with the miniblaster and wolverine, with no problems.
Look for the original packaging, not the new trophyridge/bear archery packaging. My 2 cents.

Bradkoz 10-07-2007 11:41 PM

my family and i have shot at least 50 or more deer with these over the years and nobody has had any unusual problems, the steelheads are by far the best mech out there and the sidewinders are tough too. i know the miniblasters and hamerheads blades can be a little bit easier to break but thats probably just cause they are so big.

ihunt1975 10-09-2007 11:24 AM

The broad in question was the sidewinder 3. I also have killed "a bunch" of deer with Steelhead 100gr, and Ultimate Steel 100g. I wanted to switch to a bigger cut because at times the blood trail is poor on the small cutting diameter.

smokepolehall 10-27-2007 05:55 AM

I use Steelheads and have no complaints with them and have harvested several deer with them. The others with long thin blades i have no idea how they hold up.

IL-Cornfed 10-27-2007 10:31 AM

I doubt your Rocket bleades are breaking IN game! Who cares if they break blades after they zip through game and slam into the ground!

maytom 10-27-2007 08:28 PM

The only two heads by Rocket that I've actually tried and hunted with are the 100gr Hammerheads and the 100gr Steelheads.
Of these two, I'd stick with the Hammerheads for the accuracy factor and tuffness. The steelheads have a very short screw length, which dosn't allow you to screw them into your arrow shaft by much!! (Bad design flaw???) They also don't seem to fly as accurate as the Hammerheads either??
Also like mentioned above, they don't seem to hold up as well either compared to the Hammerheads.