Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Rage Broadheads - My 2 cents >

Rage Broadheads - My 2 cents

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Rage Broadheads - My 2 cents

Old 10-03-2007, 03:13 PM

Default RE: Rage Broadheads - My 2 cents

Mechanicals= hype and failure
Old 10-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

I shot a 5 point with em and the entry hole was larger than any fixed head I have shot but the exit was smaller than the entry. the deer was 18 yards quartering away and I got a pass thru both ribs. the head does concern me b/c 2 reasons. one blade was bent but not broken and where the blades cam back against the ferule was notched out. It appears the blades are harder steel than the ferrule which accounts for the notched effect when the blads hit the ribs. The deer expired with in 40 yards. The head is useless now which I don't like b/c they are expensive. I too have mixed emotions on them. Since I got them I am gonna use them up but perhaps on turkeys. The old razorcap is hard to beat IMO.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:06 PM

I have used the rocky mnt. snyper for the last three years and had no problems. Out of the 9 deer I shot with them only one made it out of sight before dying and it only went about 75 yards, all with pass thru's and one of these was an Illinois buck that dressed at 227 lbs. I only went to the rage because of the bigger cutting diameter and shot a buck with them this year got a complete pass thru and he didn't make it 20 yards, so if your not getting pass thru's it might not be the broadheads. I did find that the blades can deploy out if bumped so I might try the rubber bands
Old 10-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

Think I'll stick with my muzzy 125's 3-blade and make good shots and not wory about it because these things are deadly and accurate.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:11 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: dso66

Mechanicals= hype and failure
Ok, I hunt with this guy 95harley, and I keep tellin him.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:59 PM

i just started using the rage and it seems fine the practice point flies great . try aligning the hen vanes and the blades like you would a fixed blade . seems better i hant shot the hunting points yet but drew them back no problem if your hitting your riser lookign at your center shot before you blame the broadhead
Old 10-04-2007, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Arrows are pefect center shot, butmay be short for these tips. Never had this problem with Spitfires, Thunderhead 100's, or Crossfires.

My point is it seems they are very fragile to come "unsprung". And with the dull blades and almost instantly cracking retaining bands there should be cause for concern.

I am a believer in KISS so the mech's allow me to shoot during the summer months and never have to readjust my pins or tune for broadheads. And honestly with the spitfires I have had devistating results with most animals crashing down within site or hearing range.

bigcountry keeps trying to convince me to go back to fixed, but honestly I have yet to see a deer drop any faster with a fixed than a mech if shot in the right spot.

I'm planning a new bow real soon and may revisit fixed broadheads and give them another try, but it won't be an easy sell.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

I just started using the rage 2 blade and have had good luck. Just killed a doe two nights ago and they cut a 4inch entryhole due to being shot at a angle. The deer went around 60 yards and piled up. I was not a mechincal broadhead guy but I like the Rages.

I have the round cut outs in my quiver and have no problems with them opening in my quiver. My buddy has foam quiver and has had some problems with them opening, but he just cut holes in the foam and it seems to work. I shot my deer at 13yards and didn't get a pass through. I also think it you hit one in the shoulder you are out luck. Although I can't back that up. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:40 PM

A topic close to my heart this "mech vs fixed" debate.

As I recently posted on another forum, in my experience, I always hear moreabout people switching to, or going back to a fixed because they "had a bad experience" with some mechanical. Almost never do you hear about somone upset with the performance of a properly tuned rig shooting fixed blades.

Folks, I don't really care how hot your bow is, how much speed your getting, the ranges that you may normallyshoot,etc. Any mechanical, of any design is going to need some amount of kinetic energy with which to deploy its blades. Swing forward, swing back, it don't matter, it needs energy to trip and WILL NOT start cutting until that need is satisfied. If you're a bowhunter thatALWAYS gets the perfect shot, clean release, not a speck of anything between you and the deer... God bless. IMHO the rest of us, especially me, do not have any kinetics to spare thank you very much. I need every bit of available energy to send that arrow through whatever my talent (or lack of it) and the good Lord puts in front of it. Tried mechs when they first came out. Their not much different now then they were then. Every once in awhile, we have to just admit that there is nothing new under the sun andthatkilling deer and other game is, as it always has been- letting the warm air out, and the cold air in.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Spike

The power of marketing is amazing. A company (Field Logic if I'm not mistaken) purchases Barrie Archery, tweaks the design ofthe Rocky Mountain Snyper, creates a flashy packaging and store displays, spends tons of money on endorsments and advertising and guess what - these new broadheads are all the Rage (pardon the pun). I have been using Snypers for a number of years, after reading 5Shot's review on this site. I have have very good success with the Snyper and hope the new company never discontinues it. From what I haveread on this site and others, the Rage models have been less than perfect. The old adage applies to the Snyper/Rage - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. By the way, the Rage broadheads are more costly than the Snypers. If you like the Rage concept and a proven product,get the Snypers.

Quick Reply: Rage Broadheads - My 2 cents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.