HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   GPS Units (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/209745-gps-units.html)

RiverCity 10-01-2007 12:27 PM

GPS Units

I am looking to get a GPS unit.
I would like to know what people think about there devices.
Right Now i am Consideringa Magellian.
What I am need is something that is waterproof and has good TOPO maps of US Mexico and Canada.
Much more then that I do not know what I am looking for or need. Any dieas would help in narrowing my choice would be appreaciated

lonewolfhunter 10-02-2007 03:34 PM

RE: GPS Units

I have a garmin LegendCX and have Topo 2008 on it and that setup works pretty slick. The legendCX is very simple to use and with the topo 2008 I've installed on it, it shows every little trail and intermittent stream in the area. I recommend that setup for all hunter or hikers.

98Redline 10-03-2007 07:35 PM

Of all of the units I looked at, the Garmin units were the easiest to operate and learn to use effectively.

That being said, the units with the external antenna (60Cs and 60Csx) have the greatest ability to achieve satellite lock under dense tree cover. When I get under the tree canopy with my Legend Cx........poof! No more satellites. Not to say it is not a good unit, on the contrary, it is a great unit (small, easy to use, accurate) however if you think you will find yourself in or under some dense cover, then I would opt for one of the Garmin 60 series units.

deer_predator 10-03-2007 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: RiverCity

I am looking to get a GPS unit.
I would like to know what people think about there devices.
Right Now i am Consideringa Magellian.
What I am need is something that is waterproof and has good TOPO maps of US Mexico and Canada.
Much more then that I do not know what I am looking for or need. Any dieas would help in narrowing my choice would be appreaciated

I bought a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx and I love it....If you are wanting detailed maps you will have to either borrow one or purchace it. I ended up paying around $100 for Topo 2008 and a 1mb mini SD card.I can fit about 3/4 of the US on it. I chose the Garmin because of the ease of use.

Whatever you choose I would recommend a color screen as opposed to the monochrome. You will thank yourself later for it.

lonewolfhunter 10-03-2007 09:49 PM

yes get a color screen

RiverCity 10-08-2007 07:02 PM

Thanks for the Info. Looks like I am off to get a Garmin

Gimphunter 10-08-2007 10:41 PM

I recently bought a Garmin GPSMap 60C at a used equipment sale at REI. It cost me under $150 (New $450) and another $100 or so for the TopoMap program. It's color and it's amazing. The only time I loose the Sat is when I forget and put it in my pocket. I'm really surprise how close it gets me to a saved point. You can't go wrong with Garmin. I even have a Garmin in my car.

MeanV2 10-09-2007 10:31 AM

I've always been partial to Garmin:)

Dan