Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

montec "review"

Old 09-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default montec "review"

figured id do a mini review of the G5 Montecs. watched my buddy sight in with them last evening. they grouped excellent and flew well at 20yds.

today he was hunting 300-400yds from me on the next farm over. 9am he texted me sayin he just stuck one. i didnt get it till 930+ got to him at 10am. he already found it maybe 20yds from where he shot it. thanfully. i will admit...he used to not be a very good bow shooter. this year he stepped up and practiced alot more...it paid off. he took a shot i would passed up i think. roughly 10yds away..he was 15ft up in a ladder stand. buck seemed to be quartering away pretty steep from what i can tell. he put the shot in kinda high...(had to be high because it was close..) about 3-4 ribs from the end of the rib cage..shattered a rib going in and zipped right through and stuck in the ground. exit wound was nice and low INFRONT of the far shoulder...guess thats brisket.

i found that pretty impressive for any head to say the least...the rib shot was enough..at that angle i think he hit 2. then all the penetration AND blew out the brisket that is pretty dang tough...and hes probably shooting 55lbs of KE id say...shooting a 380ish gr arrow at probably 260fps..all that and still blew into the ground. found that very impressive given the angle, bone, brisket and all the penetration it got...

head came out FINE. not even dented or anything!!

entrance and exit were also NICE for a smaller head..not sure on the cut size but the heads look small..i dont know the specs...

guess that goes to prove, cut on contacts are a good way to go for lower energy setups...not that my buddies is LOW...but thats alot of penetration for what hes shootin IMO...
Old 10-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: montec "review"

I have shot the G5 Montec's for two years now and took a doe each year with full penetration. I am using them again this year and dont see why I would have any other outcome.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:24 AM

Dropped two deer over 40 yards full penetration. Shot one deer than the other, never heard or saw me. Broadside shots. Arrows stuck in ground. First deer just layed down slowly, second deer jumped and ran less than 40 yards. Picked the G5 Montec last year after getting my Muzzys torn to pieces by coons. Never shot a Muzzy more than once. The G5 Montec, Steel contruction and single piece of metal make them almost indestructible. Easy to sharpen.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:28 AM

A dozen Montecs could last you the rest of your life.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 PM

I shot them and could not get them to group. However, my friend has shot the montecs for several years now. He once took a 20+ yard shot at a turkey, pass through, then the arrow hit a log another 40 yards behing the turkey. The broadhead went through the log, which was about a 10 incher, and had no damage.

They seem to be good heads, just wouldn't work for me. ALso, I have seen that they are not the easiest to resharpen. Again, it could be user error.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:58 AM

I used them last year practiced with them, grouped very well. Resharpened with a fine diamond hone, got them very nice and sharp.
Had a 18 yd shot at a nice buck broad side perfect shot placement, arrow must have hit a rib exiting.
No Pass-thru, Half penetration, no blood trail. 4 guys spent a day searching a thick tag alder swap. No Deer![:@]
I will try them again this year.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just wish somebody would make a broadhead(fixed)that has a bigger cutting diameter as I'm spoiled on very short bloodtrails that ain't neccecary cause the game animal drops within sight. I'm almost out of my coveted supply of the old anderson/big bucks 245 magnum and 383 magnum with 1.5" 4 blade and 1.8" 3 blade.
Maybe if some of us could get together to design and manufacture/market a fixed broadhead that flies well and has a huge cutting diameter with cut on contact instead of tip? I've done some "homework" on this subject and will be glad to share what little knowledge/info I have. Neil [email protected]

P S I've designed and sold patents before and a couple of my products are still catalogued by brownells.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

I've been shooting the G5's for a couple years. Never had any problems with them and, for me, they fly great. Killed four deer with them last year and 2 they year before. Only thing I don't like is they don't feel sharp, but I think it's the angle of the blade. The deer think they're sharp
Old 10-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I just wish somebody would make a broadhead(fixed)that has a bigger cutting diameter as I'm spoiled on very short bloodtrails that ain't neccecary cause the game animal drops within sight. I'm almost out of my coveted supply of the old anderson/big bucks 245 magnum and 383 magnum with 1.5" 4 blade and 1.8" 3 blade.
Maybe if some of us could get together to design and manufacture/market a fixed broadhead that flies well and has a huge cutting diameter with cut on contact instead of tip? I've done some "homework" on this subject and will be glad to share what little knowledge/info I have. Neil [email protected]

P S I've designed and sold patents before and a couple of my products are still catalogued by brownells.
They are a 1 1/8" head.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Started shooting them the other day. The don't sharpen well because of the angle of the edge, 60 degrees. A knife is around 20. They do get sharp.

They do penetrate very well, I'm very imperessed. The head I was using did a fine job, the G5's blow them away.

Quick Reply: montec "review"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.