Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

montec "review"

Old 10-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: montec "review"

ORIGINAL: meathanger

Picked the G5 Montec last year after getting my Muzzys torn to pieces by coons. Never shot a Muzzy more than once.
I truly do not understand this one...
Old 10-29-2007, 05:56 PM

This post is for all you fellas who feel that the Montec is not " sharp"...

Here's an extra step I use to finalize the sharpening process on the Montec. It works better than anything else.
First, use the G5 sharpening stone and do 12-15 side to side strokes on the 1200 grit side. ( use the grittier side if you have to remove burrs first). Then take a piece of autobody sandpaper, 1500A grit and lay it flat on a workbench, table or large book. Again, perform 12-15 even 20 side to side strokes with firm pressure on the blade at all times. Not too hard, just firm. After each set of strokes, rotate the head one blade and do this again. After all three blades have been done, test the edge with a rubber band. You'll see exactly what I mean. Super sharp and ready for your hunt.
Hope it helps all of you.
P.S. Shared this tip with G5 company and they liked it. Said they'll pass it on to their clientele!
Old 10-29-2007, 10:39 PM

I've been considering changing from the NAP Spitfire expandable and using the Montec. I took an 8 point yesterday with the Spitfire and didn't have complete pass thru but it was a double lung and heart shot so he made it about 100yds before he expired. Great info on this post, very helpful
Old 11-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tricci357, I bought the G5's last year and was also unable to get them to group.

This year, I changed the vanes on my arrows. I was using three inch vains and switched to two inch Blazer vains. Now the G5's group perfectly and have precisely the same point of impact as my field tips.

Bottom line is that you may need to try some other type of vain to get the G5's to group for your bow and arrows.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the montecs, just suck at resharpening.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:38 PM

They've (G5) got a cool resharpening tool that's a no brainer, very easy to use.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

I think Simmons makes some big and heavy heads??
ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I just wish somebody would make a broadhead(fixed)that has a bigger cutting diameter as I'm spoiled on very short bloodtrails that ain't neccecary cause the game animal drops within sight. I'm almost out of my coveted supply of the old anderson/big bucks 245 magnum and 383 magnum with 1.5" 4 blade and 1.8" 3 blade.
Maybe if some of us could get together to design and manufacture/market a fixed broadhead that flies well and has a huge cutting diameter with cut on contact instead of tip? I've done some "homework" on this subject and will be glad to share what little knowledge/info I have. Neil [email protected]

P S I've designed and sold patents before and a couple of my products are still catalogued by brownells.