Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

G5 Montec

Old 09-08-2007, 03:21 PM

Default G5 Montec

I decided to try these out this year. They hit exactly where my field tips do. Problem is I can't seem to get them really sharp. I got their sharpening stone when I bought the BH's and now matter what I try, I can't get them shaving "razor" sharp. Anyone else having this problem? Any advice ortips would be appreciated. I am impressed with their flight though.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:15 PM

Default RE: G5 Montec

i don't shoot them myself but have heard multiple people complain about keeping the blades sharp
Old 09-10-2007, 07:01 AM

Montec is a great broadhead from a durability standpoint. They seemed virtuallly indestructible and flew fantastic. Often sharpness is the one flaw of the broadhead.

I took a nicebuck with the montec last season. My disappointment was the lack of blood from the shot. The deer did not travel very far from the shot but the blood trail was spotty at best until the last 20 yards the animal travelled.

I am going to go with slick tricks this year and see how they go....

Rick
Old 09-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife is shooting Montec's this year, so we'll see what they do. With low poundage, she wanted a cut on contact head and thought the Montec looked nice. Friend of mine too a bear with them this spring and was very happy.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:42 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Goat542

I decided to try these out this year. They hit exactly where my field tips do. Problem is I can't seem to get them really sharp. I got their sharpening stone when I bought the BH's and now matter what I try, I can't get them shaving "razor" sharp. Anyone else having this problem? Any advice ortips would be appreciated. I am impressed with their flight though.
With someone experienced in sharpening things, it takes 5 min to get them razor sharp. I use my Gatco or Landsky diamond fine stones and put very little presure on each side and then rub them over stromp straps. It will shave me. But I have seen people, try to sharpen them who I wouldn't let them touch a pocketknife of mine. And they complain about sharpness.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love them, but yeah the sharpens is a small issue. I am going to try the sharpening stick, I will let you know how it works.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Wouldn't it be nice to see a "Sharpening Class"? I admit that I can't sharpen things, but that doesn't mean Idon't want to learn. A good class that for a fee sets a guy up with good stones and a strop and a few hours of instruction would be great. IMHO.......
Old 09-11-2007, 12:48 PM

I also use the Diamond stones, working across theedges -and finish up with a leather strop. Works very well.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:04 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: ostdc

Wouldn't it be nice to see a "Sharpening Class"? I admit that I can't sharpen things, but that doesn't mean Idon't want to learn. A good class that for a fee sets a guy up with good stones and a strop and a few hours of instruction would be great. IMHO.......
http://www.knifeforums.com/

Go to this page. More sharpening info and experts than you can shake a stick at.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

I have the Montec and wasnt happy of how sharp they was Just got a pack of the HELLRAZORS and I'm happy with there sharpness and they fly just like my fieldpoints you might want to give them a try

Quick Reply: G5 Montec

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.