Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 BACK TO XX78-GOODBYE CARBON ?????? >

BACK TO XX78-GOODBYE CARBON ??????

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

BACK TO XX78-GOODBYE CARBON ??????

Old 09-15-2007, 04:30 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BACK TO XX78-GOODBYE CARBON ??????

These threads that get into arrow toughness always amaze me. Am I the only one that is missing something? When I hit things with my arrows that were not meant to be shot with a bow the arrows generally break.
I've shot aluminum, gamegetters, XX75, XX78, cheap carbon, expensive carbon, ACC, Beman Matrix, and now FMJ's.

If I hit a rock, a cement block, a tree, fencepost,etc, my arrow generally gets the knock pulled out and thrown away because it is broken. Am I the only one that hasn't found these magic, tough arrows that you can shoot at anything and not break?

I always see toughness as a selling point for the new arrow. In my experience no matter the arrow, you hit things not meant to hit you break arrows.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

ive really had alot of luck with carbon withstanding things like hitting the tree behind my target or something like that. there no unstoppable arrow but with aluminums if i hit a tree or something hard the arrow would be bent almost every time. the thing i like with carbons is generally if its broke you know it where as aluminum it can be bent and not know it. one time going to my tree i tripped and fell and kinda flung my bow. this was after walking half was to a spot that took me an hour to get into and i didnt think anything was wrong untill i got there and got settled in and i could see my arrows looked a little bent took them out and looked them over and sure enough all bent. i sat and watched a few deer go by without being able to shoot them but then this squrrielkept coming up a tree like five feet away from me and i drew and put it about a foor away from him and shot him with it. that was the only good part of my hunt.

i also remeber reading about a pro hunter getting to his spot after walking moose hunting and all his arrows were bent from walking through so much brush. at least with carbon it would have snapped and your know it was no good.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ijust swapped from XX75 to G/T XT Hunters and i'm happy as a pig in s#!t . Fitted with quickspin speed hunters ...lovely .

Dave

Old 09-16-2007, 02:25 PM

I've had the same experience. Aluminum arrows, after awhile, are often in the category of "just bent up enough to not shoot very well, but not quite bad enough to throw away". With carbon, it's generally all or nothing.

The Easton ST Axis are very tough. I hit a hardwood stump recently that was so dense that the field point barely penetrated to the insert. Unscrewed the arrow and walked away. I also watched another archer hit a cinder block with one. It significantly bent the entire field point, and it was difficult to unscrew; but the arrow survived the impact with only a hairline crack in the last 1/4" at the end.

I'm not going back to the XX78's. Might try the Axis FMJ at some point in the future.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:26 AM

I've shot my RedHead Carbon Fury cheapies ($49 a doz.)into an 18" concrete wall and they have not broken. And I can peg 2-1/2" to 3" groups at 40 yards with them too. So carbons are my fave. Aluminums bend sooo easily.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:21 PM

I was down in souther Iowa once in the early 90s to bowhunt with a buddie and he owns a pro shop. He had four are five guys in the range playing around checking out broadheads on concrete blocks, rich and I where the the only ones that had carbons. When they shot the block there arrows would bend and pell back about 1 to 2 inchs back and most of the time only knock a hole in the block there was a few times one of them would stick one only about maybe a 1/4 of a inch, so rich try it he shooting 60 lb and 100 gr, thunderhead and carbon arrows. He stuck in the all the way past the blades, it did crack the arrow on the end. They put a new block up and than I tryed it with a little over 70 lbs 85 gr thunderhead and it broke the block into and stuck in the wood frame around his target and didn,t crack the arrow. To this day the broadhead is in that wood around his back stop and he told me when people come in and talk about broudheads are carbon arrows he shows them my thunderhead in that 2 by 4 and tells then how it broke a concrete block into and still stuck in the wood that deep.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:03 PM
bigcountry

Goodness, everybody better put thier hip waders on cause its getting real deep

Old 09-21-2007, 11:43 AM

I also switched back to XX78's. They are easier to refletch and easier to tune. Penetration wise is a moot point because every deer I ever shot with an XX78 has been a complete passthrough. They might be a few fps slower but thats why I own a laser rangefinder..
Old 09-21-2007, 07:07 PM

all i can say is carbon is\excellent and alluminum is garbadge,you r 1 of only 3 bowhunters in the world who still shoot alluminums,lol
Old 09-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cjsportsman

I also switched back to XX78's. They are easier to refletch and easier to tune. Penetration wise is a moot point because every deer I ever shot with an XX78 has been a complete passthrough. They might be a few fps slower but thats why I own a laser rangefinder..
as for easier to tune try the fat carbons, chuck adams said he used them for the same reason(xx78s) but he said they tune better cause there fatter and then he got all explaining about it. i think i got some called CXL from CX there about as fat as my old 2314s.

Quick Reply: BACK TO XX78-GOODBYE CARBON ??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.