Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

New string-not happy

Old 08-23-2007, 09:36 AM

Default New string-not happy

Im shooting a high country suppreme extreme,70lbs, 31 ax-ax and 7 inch brace height(thats the specs). I was about a grunt away from upgrading this year to a black ice but i didnt because the high country was drilling ,I love the short ax-ax and the limbs are less than a year old. I was only getting 65lbs with the limbs maxed out and a highcountry tech told me to bring up the poundage with twists,about 15 to start. I decided to upgrade to a winners choice stingand kinda hoped this would help my poundage problem. It didnt, 15 twist only took me to 67lbs. and brought theax-ax to less than 31 inches. Ididnt want to hurt the bow so I left it there and put about 50 shots on the string settling it back in at 31 inches. I feel like sending the bow back to high country but its only two weeks before the season starts.ALL IDEAS WELCOME!!!!!

Tim
Old 08-23-2007, 11:18 AM

Default RE: New string-not happy

Check the cable and harness as well. If your string crept, so did the cabling. Twist them up equally with the string and you'll get your poundage back.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:52 AM

Thanks but we did, everything wastwisted and counted and measured. My bowguy didnt like twistin up a winners choice string & cable. My peep allignment went right out the window but I think its about to settle in now. Ive got about a hundred shots on the string and I think its stopped twisting.

Tim
Old 08-23-2007, 12:28 PM

twist the cable up until you get to 70#, take it off and measure it - that's what size you need right there.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 PM

Thanks Gibblet,
That was my thought when I told my bow guy to start twisting the string and cable, but at 67 lbs. we were already under 31 inches ax-ax. If wekept twisting to 70lbs. we were probably going to be under 30 inches ax-ax and at least a 1/2 inch too long on brace height.Thats pretty far out of specs. I dont have a spare bow this year and like I said the season is about two weeks away. Do ya think that would be pushin it to stack it that heavy?
Im thinkin High country mightasent me 65lb. limbs

Thanks again
Tim
Old 08-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

not to hijack the thread, i was just thinking...is "preloading" the limbs a BAD thing?? i know my ATA is a 1/2 shorter than factory says it should be...

i really need to have the poundage checked...i used a buddies scale...but its OLDDDDD and rusty...i doubt its accurate...says 65 and my limb bolts are less than a hair from touching the riser...i know the guy that put the string on did some twisting..my arrows were spined heavy and i need to get about 70lbs...i forgot to ask where it was set though. i just know it shoots well for me and i think my speed is pretty dang comparable to what it was with my lighter arrows...draw legnth is also about a half inch longer than it was...went to shoot my old arrows and they overdrew so i definently gained draw legnth and weight..
Old 08-23-2007, 08:18 PM

Hey Mauser,

I dont mean to make everybody scary. Like I said I dont have a backup bow this year and I forgot to mention this bow blew up on me just before the season started last year, at full draw everything went south. My dog stands with me when I shoot, he probablly would need therapy if we lived in california. Im just being extra carefull.

Tim