Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

thermacell

Old 08-14-2007, 02:19 PM

Default thermacell

I've done some research on Thermacell and have some questions.
How hot does the unit get?
Do I have to turn it off and let it cool down before i can pick it up and leave the stand?
Where do you put it in your treestand, can you put it in the holster and just leave it on your belt while its on?
Old 08-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: thermacell

The actual plastic body doesnt get hot at all. Just don't wedge your finger under the grille to feel how hot the metal plate is. I just put one in the holster and strap it to the tree (if i can) under my seat, where my feet wont reach back and hit it.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Somewhere under you is probably the best place. Maybe even off of your stand. They recommend that it lay flat to work the best. I shot 3D last night and had it hanging off my hip quiver and it worked great but I wouldn't wear it on me in the tree.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wear mine with the holster all the time. Mine actually get's pretty hot but only on the outer part so I don't feel it. I haven't hunted with it yet but plan to put it under the seat on my tree stand.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:12 AM

It doesn't get that hot. When turkey hunting I strap it to my leg just under my knee and above my calf. I can work the whole farm that way without ever noticing it. I have found that it does work the best when the back is against something. So when I'm in the stand it is usually strapped to my backpack hanging on the tree.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

I hang mine anywhere that I can't bump it and cause unwanted noise. I have found that trying to re-use the blue thing is a no-no. It definitely produces an odor. It lasts for 4 hours, but if you only use it for 2 I would discard it.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Thermacell's don't get hot enough to cause any problems. They recommend that you strap it or lay it flat for best results. They even say that hanging it upright can cause the unit to malfunction. However, on my bear hunt in Alberta last May, the guides all wore them on their belts. They worked beautifully both on their belts and in the tree stands while hunting. I have on several occasions used the blue scent pads for a couple of hours and used the same one the next day. I have never noticed any difference in odor or functionality.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:27 AM

Best sqeeter killer ever invented!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I lay mine flat if I am in a ladder standandin my climber I put it in the accessory bag that came with the climber. I did leave it in my jacketpocket when I first got it, but it took up too much room.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Here's a review I did on mine: http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjourn...l.aspx?nID=626

It's now kept in my hunting bag at all times (especiall turkey and early bow season)

Quick Reply: thermacell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.