Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Need Fletching Help

Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Spike

Default Need Fletching Help

i just started fletching my own arrows this week. I bought a cheap $30 bohning plastic single arrow fletcher. My local archery shop suggested i try 2inch blazers on my arrows shooting through my WB so i did and they didnt shoot very well. So i bought bohning 4 inch vanes which 4 inch vanes are what come standard on my easton st epic 400 arrows. I set up the jig to the same offset as my new arrows and refletched my old ones. Shot them both today and they didnt shoot for crap. I also noticed that the top right corner of the tip of the vane didnt seat down tight to the arrow shaft. what might cause them not to fly the same or not very well? and how do i fix these problems?
Old 08-10-2007, 11:04 PM

Default RE: Need Fletching Help

Are you shooting cock vane up or down? If you're shooting it down, flip it over and shoot it up. The black bristles are quite stiff and will negatively effect arrow flight.

Also, is your bow tuned properly? I'm just guessing here, but if you can't get Blazers to fly, OR 4" vanes, something is out of whack here.....
Old 08-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Spike

should be i just bought it less than a year ago. and the arrows that i tried at the shop shot great, and the easton 4 inch vane arrows i bought shot great. Its the ones that i fletched myself that dont shoot well. And what do i need to do to my bow to keep it tuned up or working properly? all i was told is wax my string lol
Old 08-11-2007, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

you should try and post a pic of your fletched arrows, might give us some more insight.
I fletched mine last week and I'll test them this evening.....
I'll post some pics on my flickr. account later on.

F.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

i just baught the same jig a few weeks ago, i know just what yer talking about, at one side of the vane on front or back, or both, the edge of the vane isnt sitting on the shaft tight, u will have to straighten the clamp out a bit to get it to sit just right, or be honest i have mine at more of an offset than its supposed to be, so that blazers dont even sit on the shaft exact, but it still works fine, and where it doesnt sit all theway down i just put a little glue over it after they done drien then wide it off with a cue tip, so that extra glue gets under the tiny edge, i have yet to see a problem with them, if i dont do this i cant really get much offset at all ( only supposed to be able to get 2 degrees anyways but i bet im gettin twice that )
Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blazers should shoot great through a WB - at least they do for me and I know several other's that don't have any problems either... I set them about as far back as I can on the jig. Also when you fletch, putting a very small 'bead' of glue on the front and end of the vane can help keep the fletching attached.

Blazer's should be fletched with a helical or a couple degree offset. As mentioned try and post some pics of your arrows. Sometimes turning your knocks helps (also as mentioned make sure your vane isn't going through the black brissles on the bottom of the WB)...
Old 08-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Spike

alrighty ill get some pics thanks.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your arrow should sit like this in the WBhoyt919.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:46 PM

Hello

I have the same jig if it is the red plastic Bohning in straight fletch. I had the same problem on the first few arrows. I installed 2" Blazera and 2" Quickspin Hunter ST's. I use the AAE Fastset glue. Slide the clamp down the magnet slowly until you are about a 1/16" above the arrow.Then push the clamp down all the way on your shaft. Put by pushing down on the clamp until the instructions on your glue say it is set. The AAE says 5 seconds but I wait 20 seconds. Then I remove the clamp and rotate until the next index point. The clamp and magnet will not hold the fletching tight unless you push down for the right amount of time ( according to your glue). Ithink you have to use thefast set glue or it would be a real headache. I only have trouble with spacing if I only replace 1 Vane. You have to eyeball it to get in the right position.

Just my opinion

Jeff
Old 08-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Spike

alright thanks, do you use any offset? i notice that the top right corner never really gets seated onto the shaft tight like it should. It is always slightly raised up in the air.

Does the red bohning jig work just fine or do i need to upgrade to a blitzenburger or something to do my 4 inch vanes with a 2-3 degree right offset better?

Quick Reply: Need Fletching Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.