Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Rubber Boots?

Old 09-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rubber Boots?

if you dont have far to go and walk SLOWLY,you will not sweat to bad ..
we go in about 1 mile and real rough area,so, i wear hiking shoes UNISULATED ones in ,carrying my boots in my backpack with fresh socks..
i wear the nylons in as they dont get wet to much..
i sit on my ladder steps and take my hiking shoes off, then out comes my wool socks, on quick into rubber boots..
i put hiking boots in backpack, tie rope on and lift it into tree...

buddy of mine takes wal-mart bags and puts them over his socks in his rubber boots,this way the sweat will not get to the inside of your rubber boots so you dont need hiking boots..

then he gets to stand, takes off his socks and walmart bags, new socks..
he likes this better than my idea and i AGREE..
it saves you carrying all this stuff in with you..

i am trying the bag idea this year, it should work better..
i turn light on, i use those pencil lights and hold it in my mouth while i put my socks on..

my feet also get cold at times, thats why i amd going to try electric socks again on real cold days..

hope this helps, try bag over your socks in rubber boot....
Old 09-11-2007, 04:45 AM
Typical Buck

The plastic bags would be too noisy for me. I'll try changing my socks on one of the colder days and see how it goes. Maybe electric socks for me too.Thanks for the advice and if anybody has tried the electric socks...let us know!
Old 09-11-2007, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sproulman

if you dont have far to go and walk SLOWLY,you will not sweat to bad ..
we go in about 1 mile and real rough area,so, i wear hiking shoes UNISULATED ones in ,carrying my boots in my backpack with fresh socks..
i wear the nylons in as they dont get wet to much..
i sit on my ladder steps and take my hiking shoes off, then out comes my wool socks, on quick into rubber boots..
i put hiking boots in backpack, tie rope on and lift it into tree...

buddy of mine takes wal-mart bags and puts them over his socks in his rubber boots,this way the sweat will not get to the inside of your rubber boots so you dont need hiking boots..

then he gets to stand, takes off his socks and walmart bags, new socks..
he likes this better than my idea and i AGREE..
it saves you carrying all this stuff in with you..

i am trying the bag idea this year, it should work better..
i turn light on, i use those pencil lights and hold it in my mouth while i put my socks on..

my feet also get cold at times, thats why i amd going to try electric socks again on real cold days..

hope this helps, try bag over your socks in rubber boot....
Yep. Rubber boots are a pain.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

They are a pain but better than leather.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nybowhunter

The plastic bags would be too noisy for me. I'll try changing my socks on one of the colder days and see how it goes. Maybe electric socks for me too.Thanks for the advice and if anybody has tried the electric socks...let us know!
the bags are not noisy,they are down in your boot..
all they do is keep the perspiration away from inside of your boot,you dont want boot wet inside..
if you take your time and dont walk far, you dont need them but its so simple to put them in..

you only use bags if you are planing to change your socks when you get to your hunting spot..take care......
Old 09-13-2007, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

I was thinking the bags would be noisy when I took them off in the woods not as I was walking in. Depending on where I hunt I am either walking up a hillor I walking around a swamp,bothtake about45 minutes to get to. The one near the swamp, I call it the "batcave" stand is the one I really need to be quiet at because I'm near a bedding area and I try to sneak in. It's my favorite stand! I could probably change after I get past the swamp but before I go in the pines. And, I could put a bucket to sit on,becauseonce I'm past the swamp, I only have a 10-15 minutewalk. HA! Sounds like a plan...thanks for the help sproulman. Now I have to buy new boots and wait for a month for opening day!
Old 09-13-2007, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nybowhunter

They are a pain but better than leather.
Doesn't sound like you've had the joy of wearing them yet. Sproulmans idea of the bags is worth a try. He's right, you don't want the inside of the boots to get wet. I got mine after a pair of leather boots gave me some serious trouble after getting wet going through about a miles worth of tall thick wet grass. Pants and boots were soaked all day. It was rough. Dried them out at night and they were a bear to wear the next day. To make matters worse we put about 8 miles of walking under our belts, some of it dragging game.The next year the rubbers where the ticket except for the sweating.

Bought mine at Cabela's. Wasn't sure of the kind they had and decided to wait when the clerk said. Wear them and bring them back if you don't like them. I asked for how long. A year was the answer. No questions asked. Never took them back. That is the kind of service I like. It does however explain some of the things found in the bargain cave.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

bootbox is best place to get your boots,5 dollars shipping..
they dont keep their site up to date, so you have to call,have model no. of boot and your size CORRECT when you order..
i heardthey have 60,000 boots, oh my.........
Old 09-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Socks are the key to warm dry feet. I can hunt in tennis shoes if I have the right socks on. If you are trying to survive the cold, you can't always avoid sweating. Always remember that cotton kills in the cold. Why? because it holds your sweat close to you. You need a base layer/sock that pulls the sweat away from you. The second layer should also not trap the sweat either. Rubber boots doesn't allow that moisture to leave so it has to stay in your boot, hopefully as far awy from your skin as possible. Boots with moisture gathering insoles are great as long as you dry them out every time.
The other thing that has been mentioned and is good advise is the colder the weather, the bigger the boot size. Many people put on too many socks for there boot size, cut off circulation and end up with colder feet than if they wore just 1 pair of socks. Boots that fit too tight are not as warm.
I've got some light weight Xscent socks that I like, and my favorite socks are the Cabela's Igenious socks. They have that scent control built in, make a light, medium and heavy weight that are all the most comfortable socks I've ever had. My extreme boot is A Sorel. Rubber at the bottom, nylon at top, felt liners, and rated to -100. 1 Pair each of the Cabelas light medium and heavy ingenious socks and I can get as sweaty as I need to be and still be able to stop. sit down for as long as I need to. My feet could be soaked and half hour later be bone dry and still warm. Once the insole and liners are soaked, then it's time to dry them out or freeze. My fair weather hunting boots are Rockies, I have both 1200 and 400 gram boots. I've done many of scent drags and use doe gel on my boots a lot. They are not full rubber boots and the deer follow my scent trails just the same. I take extra scent precautions though, odor eators, (the original cabon scent control) baking soda, wash liners and spray boots often. Right now every one of my boots has an onion inside. lol
I've seen the rubber boots being recomended here and think I might have enough room in my truck for another pair but I need a good pair of warm weather rubber boots. Something light and quiet like a tennis shoe yet rubber and at least a little over the ankle for when 400 grams is too warm?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

you are correct, i use HIKING SHOES,unisulated more than any boot in woods if i am walking hunting...they are great..
archery i wear unisulated alpha burlys.
gun season, alpha burly 1500..

my brother has rubber boots with insulated inserts,he walks into his spot and takes the inserts out and new socks and new inserts

he says his feet stay warm all day....

he said only thing they have no ankle support like my alpha burlys do and are hard if you walk very far...

Quick Reply: Rubber Boots?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.