HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Fall-away vs. Fixed arrow rests (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/20107-fall-away-vs-fixed-arrow-rests.html)

J. Shoot 01-02-2003 05:24 AM

Fall-away vs. Fixed arrow rests

I'm looking for some solid advice. I'm fixing to rig a new bow for 3D shooting. I've read the advantages of the fall-away rests but now I'd like to hear it from people with experience and not mag articles (biased opinions). Please give me some honest opinions. Thanks in advance for the help.

J. Shoot

Searching

CargoF16 01-02-2003 08:18 AM

RE: Fall-away vs. Fixed arrow rests

J, this may be a subject for the Technical forum, or at least there you'll get more replies. Here's my $0.02

If you have never tried a fall away rest then it's at least worth the experience to put one on your bow and shoot it for a while. Fall away rests minimize the effect of your arrow spine, ie if you're over or under spined, a fall away will relieve you (somewhat) of whatever effect that is having on your arrow flight. This is because the rest only supports the arrow for the first part of the launch, often referred to as the dwell time. Some might see this as an advantage of the sight, others believe the arrow needs to be supported throughout the launch by a properly adjusted rest. Everything is a trade off.

One nice thing about fall away rests is that it is very easy to achieve fletching clearance with them.

I'm shooting a NAP Quick Tune 2000 fall away. It is not micro adjustable but I was able to paper tune to bullet holes in a few adjustments. I looked at the Muzzy ZE but thought it was A) too expensive for me to try on a whim, and 2) looked to delicate to put on my bow that I use for 3D and hunting. I have three friends that use it and love it. To each his own. I like the NAP QT rest because they're simple in design, rugged and not over priced. If I had it to do over I would have spend the extra money on the NAP QT 4000 fall away that is micro-adjustable.

I really dont shoot well enough to tell whether a fall away rest is more or less precise than a normal rest in guiding your arrow flight. I shoot the same groups with it as I did before I switched.

good luck

Cargo

nubo 01-02-2003 02:52 PM

j.shoot !
I use the trophy taker fall away rest ,I really like it absolutely no contact. My arrow's all fly true unless I personally make a mistake
in my shooting or in my set-up it's just one less thing to have to worry about,I use it for hunting and 3D as well and in 2yrs I haven't had any problem's .I plan on using a fall away on the new bow that I'm buying for this season.

nubo

DoninVa 01-02-2003 08:24 PM

I have found the Muzzy zero effect to be a very tough rest so far. I have shot it and hunted with it for 4 months. I tried other drop aways and found they didn't offer the reliaility of the Muzzy. I thought it was a little over priced until I bought it and now feel it was a good buy. I own two and have found it has helped my shooting alot. Don

BearGuy. 01-02-2003 09:36 PM

Hi J.
I totally agree with Cargo. I just put one on my bow this hunting season, I used to have a whisker biscuit arrow rest. I now have a NAP Quicktune 2000 Fall-Away rest and just love it. I also switched to more helical fletching on my arrows to help flight with broadheads. That was the main reason I changed arrow rests. Shooting helical fletching through a whisker was loosing me up to 10-12fps. Not that speed is everything,,,but that was a bit much for me.
Back to the NAP rest, very durable, easy to tune, shoots a great arrow, but a bit scratchy on the draw with carbon arrows. I use a little vegatable oil on my arrows and it seems to help alot. If you shoot a camo carbon arrow they seem to be a bit more quiet also. I have 4 friends that I hunt with that shoot the same rest and have nothing but good to say about it. I also hear that the muzzy is a great rest too.
Just my 2 cents worth.

BOWFANATIC 01-03-2003 04:25 AM

I have the deluxe whisker biscuit and I also have a NAP2000 Dropaway. Honestly , there is zero difference in accuracy between the two that I've noticed.

<---Doug---<<<

Trushot_archer 01-06-2003 06:53 AM

I think it depends on your setup as to whether it's worth it or not. I think that fall-aways are a great innovation, but really shine IF...

You use a release on a fast setup with fixed blade broadheads(the larger the cutting diameter the more important it becomes) and large(4-5&quot;) helical fletching.
A big fixed blade head on a screaming fast bow will have the tendancy to sheer or plane. Many times only a larger fletch and/or a helical will diffuse this; Vain clearance becomes a problem with any other type of rest.

They'r great for other applications too as I believe they ease the tuning process. I wouldn't reccomend them for a finger shooter though. Just my thoughts.

Trushot }}------>

J. Shoot 01-10-2003 05:16 AM

Well, I put on my new NAP drop away rest and I'm in the process of tuning the bow. So far so good. If I can get my groups a little tighter I'll be happy.

J. Shoot

Searching

Trushot_archer 01-10-2003 03:36 PM

What's you setup like J shoot? Just curious. keep us posted on how it goes and maybe post on your thoughts in ease of tuning and all.

Trushot }}------>

coelkhntr 01-12-2003 06:01 AM

On my mathews I have a NAP 4000 drop away rest and love it . It is quiet and very smooth! Good quality construction that will last!